A Land of Contrasts, a people of character,Random thoughts


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
November 20th 2014
Published: November 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

It would be unfair to not talk about the people and the contrasts of this country. I will draw upon my observances and from there you will have a better understanding about South Africa. To begin with , I found no animosity between the whites and the blacks. They are living in harmony. It seems the past is the past and lets move on to the future. South Africa is considered still, a third world country by some, I could feel the urge of growth coming from the population. By growth I mean spiritually as well as financially. This country is laid back, with a sense of urgency to catch up, but doing it their way. A humble people both the Whites and the Blacks. I should mention that their are also Coloureds. It is a term of endearment used for a different type of people.

There is government housing being built at a break neck pace, and we could learn from this. It provides hope. The poor move in and rent the premises for 10 years, if after the 10 years they have paid the rent loyally, then they would own the building. The buildings are a square cinder block affair and very basic with a tin roof and a piece of land. The alternative is a shanty town with shacks that are quickly built using any material found from cardboard to old tires. Speaking of Shanty towns, the garbage is piled up everywhere with the kids surrounded by it. Kids playing in it. The excuse was it was like this because of lack of education. I believe these people lack hope and are in despair. The line-up for the housing is huge.

Already over 1,000, 000 homes have been built. South Africa does not hide its poverty. I like that, because by keeping it front and center, they know that they have to keep at it. Sadly, the blacks are the have nots here. They have the lowest paying jobs. In the last hotel we stayed in a 5 star, I spoke to the white manager and he said for me to look around at the staff. Most live in government housing and most earn minimum wage , just enough to eke out a living. They are surrounded by what looks to them as wealth at the hotel and go home to a basic existence. Spiritualness keeps them going. Always polite and always happy.

So as we were walking one day, we saw an African women balancing a load of goods on her head. We were at a distance of about 20 paces when I snapped a picture. She wasn't looking my way. BUT, she knew I snapped the picture. As I walked by, she asked me for 5 Rand. I asked her why, and she said for the picture. I liked that. She was innovative. She knew by balancing stuff on her head people would click a pic. I gave her 7 rand for her genius.

A country of contrasts I say. As we drove around, we saw wild Zebras close to the city roaming free. WHAT! I know. Co-existence right. A compatibility with nature. We felt the vibe. There are also game reserves everywhere. Various havens for the wild life, closely monitored. A 1,000 hectare enclosure is the normal. They focus on certain species, like for Rhinos and buffalo. There are also private reserves. These enclosures are totally natural where the animals are left alone. Nature takes its course. No veterinarians, so if an animal is sick it either makes it or it dies. Balanced poulations, so that for instance in a Rhinos case there are 1 dominant male to 8 -10 females. Lucky dude.

Africa as a whole is not safe. South Africa feels safe. Take no chances, as in anywhere and you will be fine.

So here we are in Cape Town. Second largest city, and a model for the future. It is a city of inspiration. Haven't done much here but vegged. It has a waterfront off the Atlantic Ocean, It has mountains, and it has culture. I love driving around the city using the round-a-bouts. Lotsa cops out doing spot checks. Everyone takes it in stride. Its not about the tickets but the general publics safety.

Winding down on the tour we are heading off to a winery as our last foray. The wine here is plentiful and is drank as a daily drink like in France. Priced as an affordable beverage at 4 to 10 dollars a bottle we missed no opportunity to indulge.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.41s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb