Background: After the British seized the Cape of Good Hope area in 1806, many of the Dutch settlers (the Boers) trekked north to found their own republics. The discovery of diamonds (1867) and gold (1886) spurred wealth and immigration and intensified the subjugation of the native inhabitants. The Boers resisted British encroachments, but were defeated in the Boer War (1899-1902). The resulting Union of South Africa operated under a policy of apartheid - the separate development of the races. The 1990s brought an end to apartheid politically and ushered in black majority rule.
Photos from Saint Lucia
Blogs from Saint Lucia
Latest Blogs from Saint Lucia
- January 20th 2013 Weekend at St. Lucia - Mid December 2012
by Words: 599 Photos: 13
- September 7th 2012 You can't reason with a hippo
by Words: 239 Photos: 0
- August 21st 2012 St. Lucia, Cape Vidal & iSimangaliso NP
by Words: 740 Photos: 22
- August 18th 2012 A week of opposites, both educational and emotional…. Monday 13th August – Saturday 18th August
by Words: 609 Photos: 14
- August 12th 2012 Empowering generations of South African women… Sunday 5th August – Sunday 12th August
by Words: 775 Photos: 25
- August 4th 2012 Goodbyes, welcomes, and a week of teaching to ‘care’ and ‘share’! Monday 30th July- Saturday 4th August
by Words: 541 Photos: 18
- July 29th 2012 A week of teaching, construction, painting and two very different kinds of ‘game’… Monday 23rd July- Sunday 29th July
by Words: 545 Photos: 27
- July 22nd 2012 2 weeks... 2 African countries! From Vilanculos to St. Lucia, Monday 16th July- Sunday 22nd July
by Words: 508 Photos: 13
- January 8th 2012 Da steht ein Hippo auf der Strasse...
by Words: 202 Photos: 0
- September 11th 2011 A close shave for Mark!
by Words: 678 Photos: 10
- June 3rd 2011 St. Lucia South Africa
by Words: 15 Photos: 89
- March 19th 2011 Barbara & John in Kwa Zulu Natal
by Words: 2538 Photos: 0
- March 8th 2011 HAVING FUN!
by Words: 160 Photos: 0
- February 23rd 2011 St. Lucia / iSimangaliso Wetlands
by Words: 280 Photos: 15
- December 7th 2010 Nelspruit to St. Lucia (via Swaziland)
by Words: 610 Photos: 3
- July 3rd 2010 The Tale of the Nice Desk Lady (aka Sarah has a bit of a cry and the Nice Desk Lady takes pitty)
by Words: 909 Photos: 5
- January 21st 2010 Mozambique Swaziland and back to South Africa!
by Words: 556 Photos: 8
- November 3rd 2009 Hippos, hippos and hippos!!!!
by Words: 1511 Photos: 20
- September 1st 2009 Back in South Africa
by Words: 145 Photos: 0
- February 3rd 2009 More St Lucia river cruise photos
by Words: 506 Photos: 7