Day 5-6: Constructing Houses


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Saint Lucia
May 7th 2019
Published: March 29th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Constructing Houses

For the next two days Renata and I and the rest of group B volunteered in the construction of two houses. One of the sites was for the Gunede Family. Eddie is the father of the house. Currently he and his wife and 3 children live in a one-room house. The second site was for the Jobe Family. Currently on their plot of land there is ten residents living in three one-room houses including one grandmother, her two sons and six children.





Cement and Concrete Flooring

For the two houses we worked on mixing concrete for the concrete foundation in the two five room houses down the road from one another. Other member of the group worked on laying bricks for the septic tanks. It was an amazing and educational experience. I learned how to create concrete and cement by hand which is very tiring. I also came to appreciate the amount of work, staff and volunteers needed to build a home for people in need.





Constructions was physically exhausting. For the next to days we will become mentally exhausted as we volunteer at the local school and daycare in the community.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Construction Construction
Construction

The watering can we used to make cement and concrete
Construction SiteConstruction Site
Construction Site

Getting my hands dirty


Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0968s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb