Day 7-8: Class is in Session


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Saint Lucia
May 9th 2019
Published: March 31st 2020
Edit Blog Post

Teaching Grade 3 Math and English



At the nearby Khula village school, Renata and I got the opportunity to teach one of the Grade 3 classes, Math and English. Although it was fun getting to know the children I found it extremely difficult teaching English and Math to the kids. Firstly, the class size was large and it was incredibly difficult tutoring even a small group of 8 students. Secondly, there was a language barrier. Although many kids could speak pretty good English it was still not their first language and my Zulu was minimal at best. Thirdly, I had to really think back to my English and Math lessons in elementary school in order to understand and explain proper English grammar to the children. I think in the end the kids were more excited about meeting us than actually doing their studies. Renata, even called one of boys the "troublemaker," because he wouldn't pay attention to the teachers lessons. Nevertheless, it was an amazing experience with the highlights being the excitement on the kids faces as they showed us around their school during recess and when they sang a song for us during one of their classes.



Mama Doris



In the afternoon, the grouped headed over to Mama Doris, the local daycare. A lot of the kids at Mama Doris are orphaned or their parents are teenagers that go to the village school. Mama Doris takes care of the children free of charge with the help of South African government and VESA so that the children' s parents can finish their education. At Mama Doris, we helped the toddlers improve their reading skills by reading stories to them. My sister, Renata enthusiastically read "Toy Story" to the kids. Other activities we did with the kids include drawing, colouring, crafts, blowing bubbles and having a friendship circle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Mama Doris Mama Doris
Mama Doris

Playing with the little ones


Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb