A gathering of a few elephants


Advertisement
Published: November 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So having landed in Port Elizabeth I had to wait awhile for Paula to turn up on the airport shuttle. Once she arrived we walked to the car hire centre and picked up our lovely white Opel Corsa... The road trip began minus a true road map but lonely planet and lots of tourist information maps in hand and we headed out for Addo.

We checked into our hostel at Addo and after hunting out some food we chilled out and had an early night in anticipation of getting up early and heading into Addo Elephant Park the next day. Wednesday morning and we were rolling through the gates of Addo at 7.30am. We paid up and checked in and set off in hunt of the wildlife. We were fortunate to come across a warthog within the first 1km in the park and he was unusually brave and just ignored us whilst we hung out of the windows taking photos.

Addo is only a small game reserve in comparison to many and they have over 350 elephants so we were pretty sure we would spot some and we were lucky to come across a large herd at the first watering hole that we arrived at. We sat in awe of them for a long time and then set off in hunt of more wildlife.

Throughout the day we were fortunate to come across a lot more elephants, especially one group that consisted of approximately 80 elephants! The rest of the day we saw lots of leopard tortoises, a couple of buffalo, warthogs, kudu, ostrich and zebra. I also saw my first hartbeest! The leopard, black rhino and lion all stayed allusive...... Addo was a good park for the elephants however was slightly disappointing on the rest of the animal front but still worth a visit to self drive around.

Thursday morning saw Paula and I back in the car and heading north into the Karoo.



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb