Addo Elephant National Park
Background: After the British seized the Cape of Good Hope area in 1806, many of the Dutch settlers (the Boers) trekked north to found their own republics. The discovery of diamonds (1867) and gold (1886) spurred wealth and immigration and intensified the subjugation of the native inhabitants. The Boers resisted British encroachments, but were defeated in the Boer War (1899-1902). The resulting Union of South Africa operated under a policy of apartheid - the separate development of the races. The 1990s brought an end to apartheid politically and ushered in black majority rule.
Blogs from Addo Elephant National Park
Latest Blogs from Addo Elephant National Park
- October 10th 2012 Route 62 & Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa, 14-18 September
by Words: 1245 Photos: 127
- August 29th 2012 Addo Elephant National Park and J Bay
by Words: 1293 Photos: 28
- August 10th 2012 Addo Elephant NP
by Words: 474 Photos: 29
- August 7th 2012 Addo Elephant Park
by Words: 1275 Photos: 0
- December 21st 2011 Elephants!
by Words: 608 Photos: 0
- August 1st 2011 Addo Elephant Park
by Words: 993 Photos: 0
- October 16th 2010 Garden Route, Wild Coast and Lions
by Words: 1826 Photos: 27
- July 7th 2010 The Wild Coast, Garden Route and everything in between
by Words: 2259 Photos: 85
- June 27th 2010 Addo Elephant National Park: Safari Game Drive
by Words: 174 Photos: 3
- May 22nd 2010 A day based around food
by Words: 1442 Photos: 39
- May 21st 2010 Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Addo we go!
by Words: 1690 Photos: 39
- April 21st 2010 Day 14: There and back, and there again!
by Words: 666 Photos: 9
- March 26th 2010 Best Safari Yet!
by Words: 1901 Photos: 67
- March 4th 2010 Elephant tastic!
by Words: 450 Photos: 19
- March 2nd 2010 Addo
by Words: 744 Photos: 3
- November 24th 2009 A gathering of a few elephants
by Words: 323 Photos: 18
- October 13th 2009 Week 4 Eastern Cape - part 1
by Words: 1388 Photos: 24
- August 27th 2009 Surfing Elephants
by Words: 220 Photos: 7
- July 21st 2009 Addo National Park and the Seaview Lion Reserve
by Words: 500 Photos: 30
- March 16th 2009 Last safari at Addo
by Words: 152 Photos: 10