Mozambique


Advertisement
Mozambique's flag
Africa » Mozambique
August 9th 2010
Published: September 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Mozambique



After 48 hours of bus travel we arrived at beautiful Tofo beach in Mozambique. Over the next five days we had a lot of underwater activities planned. Tofo is well known for its huge population of Whale Sharks (the world´s biggest fish) and Manta Rays. The scuba diving is fantastic here and we did several dives, seeing : sharks, manta rays, devil rays, turtles, barracuda, and many big, colorful fish.

Each day as we went on our boat to the dive site we were able to spot humpback whales. One day we saw over 20 whales in 30 minutes. Some of the whales were even jumping out of the water. On our return boat trip from one of our dives, we spotted a school of about 30 dolphins. Our boat drove after them and allowed us to jump in the water and swim/snorkel with the dolphins for about 10 minutes.

Another day, we did a snorkelling trip to swim with the whale sharks. This was quite an amazing experience, since you get to swim with a fish that is over 24 feet long. On our trip there was a marine biologist doing research on the whale sharks,
Menu at our favorite place - Black & WhiteMenu at our favorite place - Black & WhiteMenu at our favorite place - Black & White

Best plate of prawns for $3 ever
and she told us that on our day, we got to swim with the largest female whale shark she had ever seen in Tofo.

One day, while walking through the craft market, we found a little shack with a menu written on a cardboard box in magic marker. This turned out to be the most amazing little restaurant in Africa, called Negro y Blanco (Black & White). Here we ate the most flavorful and delicious prawns either of us have had in our entire lives. A huge plate of prawns, rice, & salad cost a whopping $3 US. Needless to say, we ended up eating almost every meal there and recommending it to everyone we saw.

On our last night in Tofo, our hotel had a live local band with three dancers performing. It was nice to hear this traditional music, and see the dancers as they danced their way through the night.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.203s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb