South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
August 1st 2010
Published: September 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

South Africa



Stellenbosch



Our first stop in South Africa was in their wine region, in a town called Stellenbosch. The town was really beautiful and quite touristy. While we knew that there was massive poverty in South Africa, it was definitely not apparent in this town full of wealthy South Africans and tourists. The following day we went on a wine tour through four wineries. The South African wines were delicious, however, most of them do not export wines to the US. We especially enjoyed one wine at the last winery, which was Fairview Winery, and the wine was called ¨The Goatfather¨. We ended up buying two bottles of this wine to take with us to Mozambique.

Cape Town



The next morning we left Stellenbosch very early to go South to Cape Town and Gansbaai Bay for our adrenaline filled day of Great White Shark Cage Diving. We took a huge boat out to the most famous place in the world to see the Great White Shark, called ¨Shark Alley.¨Here we saw Great White Sharks circling the boat so we put on our wetsuits and masks and jumped into a 8´x 3´metal cage, attached to the side of the boat. The boatmen filled the water around us with chunks of fish and the sharks came around several times for us to see. As one person from our group was getting out of the cage, we got the best view of a 10 foot long shark trying to take a bite out of the person´s foot only 3 feet away from us. The shark missed the foot and then took a swipe at the cage right in front of us, with it´s mouth wide open. That night we returned to Cape Town for dinner and we had a ¨game meat platter¨which constisted of Warthog ribs, Crocodile ribs, Oryx steak, and Ostrich steak. The next day we walked around town and saw Table Mountain before we got on a bus to go to Mozambique.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0663s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb