The madness of Marrakech


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Marrakech
September 20th 2008
Published: October 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

17 Sep - arrive in Marrakech. Sightseeing with the group includes:
Bahia Palace...built by Bou Ahmed in the 1890's with paved courtyards, pavilions and reception halls decorated in traditional Morrocan zelije tiling on the walls and carved cedar wood doors which housed Ahmed's 4 wives and 24 concubines, what a guy!!!
Saadian tombs...opulent mausoleums of the Saadians who ruled Morroco from 1549-1668. Ancient walled garden with mosaic graves and pavilions with tombs.
Majorelle Gardens...formerly owned by Yves St Laurent, there is now a memorial to him within these beautiful gardens. V tranquil, colourful gardens created by French artist brothers Majorelle. Bamboo groves, huge palms and ancient cacti as well as pools with water lillies.

Chillout for a few hours at Hotel Ayoub before heading to Jemaa El Fna in the evening, the main square in Marrakech. COMPLETELY MANIC. There are food stalls in the centre, orange juice and dates stalls round the sides and musicians, monkeys and henna artists everywhere else (while dodging calesh and mopeds cutting across the square) and annoying, persistent shopkeepers. We have pastilla and tomato salad at stall No42, most of the stalls sell the same food it's just a free for all with the owners trying to grab your attention to eat with them. People watch for hours from the relatively hassle-free zone of our bench. By the time we leave at midnight for lift back to hotel we've truly experienced the Marrakech evening vibe.

18 Sep - drive to Menara Gardens, an irrigation area for Marrakech created by the Almohads in the 12th century. The basin of water contains very hungry carp. We then visit a government assisted charity called Terre Les Jeunes Marrackech which is attended by 12-17 year olds whose parents can't afford to keep them in education. This initiative keeps them off the streets and instead trains them in gardening, cooking and embroidery and assists with finding jobs within the tourism industry. There weren't many kids around the day we visited. We then head to the iconic Koutoubia Mosque and Gardens. The tower is a traditional Almohad square minaret with copper globes. The 4th globe was supposedly donated by the wife of Yacoub El-Mansour as compensation for failing to keep the fast during Ramadan when she ate 4 figs!!!

We say our farewells to Ahmed our tour guide. Wander round the souks - such a maze with lots of donkeys, mopeds and carts to watch out for. Nothing interesting to buy, tourist tat of poor quality, bit of a let down... We grab some lunch on the terrace of Cafe des Epices which overlooks the Spice Souk. It's starts raining (!) so we head back to the hotel. Group is starting to disperse to different hotels and get flights home. Head back to Jemaa El Fna for dinner at the rooftop terrace of Aqua - lasagne and nougat glace, how Moroccan...not! It's pouring with rain so the square is almost deserted compared with last night.

19 Sep - lazy day. Leisurely breakfast includes a wee woman on a stool making, what can only be described as, tatties scones!!!! V tasty. Spend a few hours at the internet cafe and learn about LTSB bid for HBOS - what's going on??!! For dinner, Alfie & Val (English couple), Nathan (an attorney from NYC), Aya and I go to Terrasses de l'Alhambra and have tasty (at last!) salad with tomato, lettuce, olive tapenade, homous and couscous washed down with a biere...sans alcool 😞 We wander round the square for the last time, have a yummy chocolate and peach sorbet icecream then go back to hotel.

Morocco thoughts....it was an interesting trip but I think looking back it will not be seen as a memorable few weeks, just a stop gap between Jordan and Cape Town!

20 Sep - the start of a fair chunk of transit. Leave for Marrakech airport at 9am with Alfie and Val for 1110 flight to Casablanca. Land at Heathrow about 5pm as scheduled. Productive few hours shopping for UK essentials (books, toiletries, etc) as well as phoning mum and dad and Gel and Luce. 2100 flight to Cape Town with South African Airlines leaves on time and is v comfy flight, friendly staff, tasty dinner with SA red wine and good films. Manage some sleep then cooked breakfast. The pilot announces excitedly that our plane is given permission from air traffic control to divert from our route to partake in an air display in Cape Town - must have been opportune timing and flying with SAA. We don't quite loop the loop but exciting nonetheless 😊

Advertisement



19th November 2008

Marrakech
ooohh, I loved reading about your adventures, I went to Marrakech last year and loved it, your description is spot on, crazy, but in a good way.... keep on enjoying yourself, and make sure you drop me a line when you get over this side of the world!

Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb