Essaouira - hippy seaside hangout


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Essaouira
September 16th 2008
Published: October 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

15 Sep - early morning stroll at 7.30am to walk back down the mountain to Imlil. Drive along more bendy roads as we leave the Atlas Mountains behind. Drive through the outskirts of Marrakech heading to the seaside town of Essaouira. We stop at an Argen oil factory. This is a women's co-operative and they explain how argen oil is extracted from the nuts of the argen tree to become either cooking oil (which helps reduce cholesterol) or beauty treatments (rich in Vitamin E). It takes 30kg of nuts to make 1litre of oil! Disappointed not to see the legendary goats in the argen trees but buy some body lotion, great way to replace by toiletry supplies while on the road...better than Boots, lol.

Arrive in Essaouira early afternoon so have rest of time to explore by ourselves. Aya and I take a walk along the beach and I spot the unusual sight of a camel walking along the water...you only expect to see camels in the desert!!! Another money making opportunity for the locals of course but we enjoy riding along the sand while the sun is setting and take some great photos...another great camel experience.

We have a great dinner at a fish restaurant called Fanatic on the beachfront. Salad nicoise, crevettes provencal and birthday cheesecake in honour of Alfie's birthday...and half a bottle of white wine, woohoo, soooooooo good 😊

16 Sep - great day exploring this laid back, hippy seaside town. In the morning, Ahmed takes us through the Medina, the souk, along to the fishing port and Skala de la Ville with its ramparts and cannons pointing out to sea. We visit an artisinal area to see how the filigree silver work specific to the area is produced. I buy a silver bangle with blue, red and green stones, the colours of which remind me of the Moroccan tilework. We also walk through the Mellah - the Jewish quarter and Place Orson Wells (Wells shot the film Othello here, in Mogador / Essaouira).

A few of us have lunch on the busy Place Moulay Hassan and people watch before wandering through the souks. Leisurely stroll along the beach with great views of the islands.

Meet Judith, Maryam and Aya for dinner. When we leave the hotel at 7pm, the streets are deserted like a ghost town as all the locals are at home, breaking their fast. Eventually however we manage to hail a petit taxi to the harbour. Best dinner of my grand adventure so far...at Chez Sam, a waterside wooden shack designed like a ship. Quaint and quirky with porthole windows looking over the harbour. Superb meal of smoked salmon with toast, capers, gherkins and red onion followed by filet de St Pierre Meuniere with mushrooms, rice, roasted tomato & olive tapenade and potato gratin with half bottle of white wine, YUM. Too full for dessert so it's (extremely) sweet green tea all round. Excellent fresh fish, watching the boats in the harbour, listening to the sea lapping and great chat...v enjoyable evening, wish we could have spent more time in Essaouira but bring on the biz of Marrakech...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb