Marrakesh or Tanger? Choosing your Moroccan destination


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz » Marrakech
December 11th 2020
Published: December 11th 2020
Edit Blog Post

When planning to visit Morocco, you may find it hard to decide on the final destination. There are so many beautiful places to choose from! In this article, we will try to help you decide between Marrakesh and Tanger.



When compared with most European countries, Morocco seems quite a big one. However, in comparison to its North-African neighbors, it can be called quite a small country. And there are so many things to discover there! When choosing the starting point for their vacation, many tourists end up unable to decide, having so many opportunities to choose from.



Iconic Casablanca, mysterious Marrakesh, Tanger - a haven for writers and a giant port, or sunny Essaouira - it is not easy, isn't it? We will try to make it a bit easier by describing the spirit of the two popular Moroccan destinations as well as the opportunities they offer to the travelers. Each of the places has its own special atmosphere and can offer a wide range of hotels as well as gastronomy services. Tanger and Marrakech are completely opposite in terms of approach to tradition, location and countryside. Check their characteristics.


Tanger




One of the Moroccan biggest cities on the west northern side of the coast. Its cosmopolitan atmosphere crosses with the small-town spirit as the skyscrapers are neighboring tiny white houses on the hills. Once upon a time, Tanger was the mecca of artists, drawing writers such as Tennesse Williams, Truman Capote, or William Burroughs, and painters: Mattise and Delacroix. The architecture of Tanger shows a mix of Spanish and Arabic influences. The city is bustling and full of cultural life.



If you are searching for a hotel in Tanger, you may be interested in the resorts of Tamuda Bay and the neighboring town of Tetouan, which seduces the visitors with a unique atmosphere.


Marrakesh




If you are determined to feel the real Moroccan spirit, you may choose Marrakesh instead of the cosmopolitan Tanger. Its tiny streets and beautiful patterns on walls and floors, as well as the location - just at the foot of Atlas Mountains - attract numerous visitors every year. Marrakesh is smaller than Tanger and located relatively away from the coast - you will need three hours drive to reach it. That is why it attracts more tourists that are determined to travel into the Atlas Mountains and to the desert.



Searching for a hotel in Marrakech? You can choose from various beautiful options. The biggest number of high-quality hotels are gathered around the Marrakesh train station and park El Hati.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb