The Many Faces of Fes


Advertisement
Morocco's flag
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
January 14th 2020
Published: January 16th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Leaving the remarkable ruins of Volubilis behind us, thoughts about what we had just seen in the historic Roman city still rambled around in our brains but it was time to move on. Driving in an easterly direction, our destination was the city of Fes, once the capital of Morocco and an important trade crossroads. So far the landscape had been rather bland and sparsely populated with only a few unremarkable buildings and houses making an appearance. The most interesting sights for me were several huge stork nests perched atop spindly electricity/phone poles near small buildings.They were a nice surprise.

Only 20 miles from Fes, the geographical monotony was broken when we unexpectedly saw a lake peeking out of the nearby valley with the Middle Atlas Mountains as a backdrop. Near the far end, the sky-blue lake lapped at the edge of a green and fertile shoreline like an oasis while a layer of red earth streaked through the grayish-brown mountains beyond. Larbi explained what we were seeing was a man-made reservoir which is known as the Sidi Chahed Dam Reservoir or Hassan II Dam. Built in the 1990’s, it was constructed to provide drinking water to Meknes, for field
irrigation and to contain runoff from the mountains. This reservoir lake was one of the many geographical surprises that Morocco held for us.

Once in Fes' city limits, Larbi arranged for a quick stop in the Ville Nouvelle district at Carrefour, a French retail supermarket where wine and beer were available for purchase among other groceries. No prompting was needed for most of the guys in our group to make a mad dash for the store. Rick came back with a big smile on his face along with a couple bottles of Moroccan wine (one for a gift) and 6 Casablanca beers. The sun was just setting as we drove into the Fes el Bali district, the oldest walled section of Fes where the Riad Salam Fes was located. Not being able to navigate narrow lanes or alleys, our tour bus dropped us off near a fountain located in the roundabout several blocks away.

In contrast to the looks of the surrounding neighborhood, access to the Riad’s tiny entry area is through grand brass doors surrounded by vividly colored Moroccan tiles. What lies beyond was nothing less than magical for me. Down the steps from entry we gathered in a large reception room lined with comfortable sofas, chairs and tables for arriving guests. Within minutes we were extended a gracious welcome in the form of being served small glasses of hot mint tea, a traditionally Moroccan style of hospitality and one I came to love.

We were handed a brass key to Room #7, the Hbibti Suite, a large oblong room furnished in a thoroughly Moroccan style with plenty of charming extras. Our suite faced an inner courtyard or atrium with beautifully carved wood screens and balcony railings. Trailing tendrils of hanging plants draped the mezzanine balconies adding the freshness of an indoor garden. Our room was furnished with a settee and chairs on Moroccan rug; a massive carved wood headboard and beds wrapped in embroidered sheets; a luxurious Moroccan-tiled bathroom complete with brass sink, and an ornate shower with Moorish arched entry. Windows on both sides of the room were of stained glass. A mini-fridge was a welcomed extra. But, perhaps the room’s most charming feature was a corner balcony overlooking the incredibly beautiful pool and solarium area.

For our first night in Fes, we had only to go downstairs to the elegant dining room where we enjoyed our first traditional Moroccan dinner. Our large corner table for 8 provided a good opportunity to interact with some of our fellow travelers. Appetizers of olives and baskets of khobz bread were followed by cooked salads, tagines of couscous, chicken and several vegetables all served family style. We ended the evening on full stomachs and thoroughly exhausted. Hoping for a good night's rest, we didn't realize how important that would be because the following day would be even more full of activity.

Up early the next morning, we had a delightful breakfast at the hotel and the choices were many: sunny-side up eggs, fresh fruit, rolls & sweet breads, Moroccan pancakes known as msemen, dates, olives, honey & jam, fresh salad vegetables, yogurt, coffee, tea & orange juice. The entire time we were in Morocco, the food served or available to us was so plentiful that at times much of it went uneaten – you couldn’t help but feel guilty of wasting.

Following breakfast, Hassan was introduced to us as our special local guide for Fes. A middle-aged man who exuded extreme confidence, Hassan spoke nearly flawless English, and had encyclopedic knowledge of Fes. Having more than its fair share of fascinating sites and history, having a guide such as Hassan to bring Fes to life was priceless.

Hassan began our education of Fes with a drive up to Borj Sud, or south tower, of the 16th-century fortress built by Christian slaves under the rule of Sultan Ahmed Al Mansour. Located on a hill, the Borj Sud was a perfect place for viewing the sprawling length and breadth of Fes’ old city. From this vantage point, we could see important landmarks such as the white minaret of Karaouine (Al Quaraouiyine) University which is considered the oldest continually functioning university in the world.

At mid-morning Hassan took us to Fes’ UNESCO-listed medina and the souk which was already a beehive of activity. Dodging shoppers and shopkeepers, Hassan deftly weaved his way through the souk’s narrow pathways which he obviously knew like the back of his hand. Trailing behind and being neophytes to the souk, getting lost in this labyrinth would all too easy; to prevent this from happening, a nice gentleman acted as our rear guard and kept us from making wrong turns and getting separated from the group and Hassan.

The souk
was immense but there was a pattern to be found here. Souks stalls seemed to be arranged according to what was being sold -- dressmakers, dyers, and fabric shops; shoes and slippers; leather goods; silver jewelry; prepared foods, colorful mounds of spices, nuts and dates; ornamental metal trays, incense burners and lanterns; and even animals. It was fascinating but also at times depressing.

A tourist should be ever vigilant in the souk's narrow pathways as I found out the hard way. While tourists are sightseeing, others are going about their busy workday. For example, men frantically pushing metal carts to make deliveries in the souk. Though we were alerted to this kind of activity and stepped aside when a cart was being pushed by us, an older man, obviously in a rush, miscalculated the clearance between his cart and my leg! His cart slammed into my shin so hard that immediate blow made my eyes tear – needless to say, it was painful and I was embarrassed. The cart pusher only momentarily hesitated, looked at me but did not apologize or show any concern. Would he have acted differently if I were not a tourist and had been a Moroccan man or woman? Our kindly rear guard gentleman immediately checked to see if I was OK. I was bruised but able to keep going.

In the medina’s souk we visited the Al-Bou Inania Madrasa; founded in AD 1350, it serves as both an educational and religious institution. It is one of the few places in the whole of Morocco which admits non-Islamic visitors (we paid admission and got admitted to the Hassan II Mosque in Casablanca), and the only madrasa in Fes with a minaret. The last madrasa to be built by the Merenids, it takes its name from Bou Inan Faris, the sultan who ordered its construction. It has been given the status of Grand Mosque.

Our group sat on benches listening to Hassan explain the history and workings of the madrasa while we admired the lovely architecture and the peaceful setting. It was interesting to see the madrasa’s various component parts beginning with the central courtyard where we gathered and which is surrounded with classrooms on the entrance’s left and right, and the dar al-wuḍūʾ or ablutions room opposite the entrance. A low, lotus-shaped fountain takes center place and is surrounded by a floor of blue, green, ochre, black and white tiles.

Entrance to the other rooms and higher floors is gained through distinctive Moroccan-style arched doorways. We climbed to the upper levels of the madrasa to see the cells, or single rooms in which students lived. These small, austere living spaces only had a small window for light and air which seemed to be in sharp contrast to the more luxurious courtyard space with its elaborate tile work, carved limestone arches and pediments, pierced hanging lamps, fountain and carved wood balconies.

We next made a fairly brief stop in the sunny open area known as Safferine Square where we enjoyed watching the coppersmiths at work creating useful as well as artistic copper items. For several minutes I watched a young apprentice beating a large copper tray into shape and he seemed happy for the attention of our group. All around him hung copper pots, ladles, coffee or tea pots, tagines and more. It seems like laborious work for the young man but an man, perhaps the craftsman he was apprenticed to, checked on the progress of his work -- it was an interesting to see how much work goes into handmade items.

A short distance away was the Nejjarine Museum of Wooden Arts and Crafts which was housed in a nicely restored Funduq or caravanserai formerly used by traveling merchants as a place to store as well as sell goods while lodging on the floors above. Rooms positioned off to the sides of the central courtyard or atrium held exhibits of beautiful woodworking craftsmanship in many forms but especially furniture. The museum itself had elaborately carved wood balcony screens, rails and architectural ornamentation.

I had been looking at a young woman who constantly peered from a balcony onto the courtyard below and soon found out that she was employed to keep watch on visitors – a person from our group foolishly handled one of the exhibits and she quickly rebuked him for his actions!

Following Nejjarine, Hassan he led us once more through the maze of alleys and pathways before coming to our intended lunch spot which was located on an upper level. I missed seeing the name of the restaurant on the way in but the interior was lovely with Moroccan tiled floors and columns. Plates and plates of food were served, and even with 8 people at our table we could not finish it all – a large basket of khobz bread, rice mixed with vegetables, green olives, carrot slices, chicken tagine with preserved lemon, purple olives and chick peas, eggplant zaalouk, and Moroccan white bean stew called loubia were set before us. It was a lovely meal to be sure.

Perhaps it was a good thing that we ate in advance of visiting the Chouaras Tannery. As we entered the multi-story building, we were handed a sprig of mint not really understanding what we were intended to do with it. However, we soon found out though I’m not sure that anything can prepare you for what you will smell here even if you are familiar with the tanning process.

Climbing narrow stairs with uneven steps to an upper floor, we an unobstructed view over a honeycomb of stone vats filled with dye colors ranging from very vivid to muted which some liken to a painter’s palette. Wedged into a sliver of land between buildings in the medina, men were working with hides in the vats so close to the intense smell of urine that it’s almost incomprehensible how they endure it; even with the mint sprigs held to our nose the smell was nearly unbearable.

We were given a short tutorial on the different types of leather resulting from tanning camel, cow and sheep skins. Examples of the different leathers were passed around and it was quickly apparent that the cow skin was buttery soft to the touch compared to camel and sheep skin, but a man touting “sheep is cheap,” and sheep skin was not a bad second place winner. Amazing that out of all this comes beautiful leather products of all types which were also being sold here.

Shopping opportunities presented themselves at every corner and even closer as with the hawkers who followed us everywhere; after a while it became very annoying as they wouldn’t take no for an answer. To acknowledge the hawker in any fashion is a flagrant mistake. I finally bought some bracelets, which I liked, from one man who wanted more than I was willing to pay him, but he took what I offered and I thought I got a very good deal and the bracelets made great presents.

Next, there was the obligatory visit to a rug/carpet store where we were welcomed with glasses of hot mint tea. We sat on low benches lining the display room while the virtues of Moroccan carpets were extolled at length. The rug designs and colors were indeed beautiful and the rug twirling salesmen displayed rug upon rug, each one more striking than the one before.

I guess my husband was suitably impressed because he bought a small rug which had beautiful colors and design. The sale transaction was completed and the rug was expertly wrapped in a fashion that made it easy to carry home. Finally, we were on our way and not a minute too soon as I had hit my limit for high pressure sales pitches for one day!

Our day was not nearly over yet as we stopped to see the very beautiful Bab Boujloud gate. I easily favored it over Meknes’ more famous Bab Mansour. Bab Boujloud features a main entry arch flanked by 2 smaller but identical entry gates on either side. All 3 of the Moorish arches facing away from the medina are framed by lacy carved stone, deep blue zellij tilework, topped by glazed green tiles and crenellations. The interior side of the gate differs only in
that the zellij tiles are green.

Moroccans are considered a tolerant society and I saw nothing to dispute that. Not very far away from the medina we visited the Jewish Cemetery of Fes in the Mellah, or Jewish quarter of Fes. This late 8th to early 9th century cemetery had the support of Moroccan Jewish Burial Societies – a cornerstone of community volunteers providing important services and support to the dying, deceased, as well as to the cemetery’s functioning. Guarded by a solid iron gate, the cemetery’s many above-ground crypts were made of concrete or marble and engraved in Hebrew with the name of and information about the deceased. The newer crypt stones were engraved in both Hebrew and French.

Our tour of Fes ended with a visit to the King’s Palace or Dar el-Makhzen, which though not open to the public, is worth a few minutes to see the 7 gates and their magnificent brass doors and matching brass door knockers. Each gate is named after a day of the week.

Arriving when there were few tourists in Place des Alaouites, the square or mechouar in front of the palace, and that was a definite advantage for photos and ability to admire the doors so closely. The 1960s built palace the beautifully patterned brass shines like gold when the sun is out. Nearly the whole façade other than the doors is covered in tilework which is overhung by carved cedar ornamental woodwork and green, glazed roof tiles. Between the 1st and 2nd and 6th and 7th doors Moroccan flags fly freely in the breeze to add even more distinction and color to the setting.

From this point we had just over an hour to return to our riad and ready ourselves for a wonderful home-hosted dinner with a family in Fes. Both our tour guide, Larbi, knew this family personally and our group of 20 was warmly welcomed. This was not an ordinary family, but a quite well-to-do family with a well-furnished, modern apartment.

After introductions were made, we took seats at round tables which were set with china and stemware. The meal was all homemade with the help of the mother-in-law, and dinner groups such as ours are hosted only several times a month. Dinner included chicken tagines with preserved lemon and olives, cooked salads of all types, khobz bread, fresh salads, and plates of olives. Dessert included cookies and other sweets accompanied by mint tea. Absolutely no one would leave hungry from this dinner.

While dessert was being enjoyed, we learned that the husband was a designer of furniture and interiors while the wife also designs and embroiders high-end kaftans although now she only does this for friends and family. The husband brought out several examples of his wife’s work for us and you could see he was very proud of his wife’s talent.

At the end of the evening, the host family thanked everyone personally for coming to their home and sharing a meal. They were extremely kind and we were allowed to take photos of both them and their lovely home.

Back in our beautiful riad, I couldn't resist taking even more photos before going back to our suite. Then, it was literally only minutes before I was in bed and asleep. No energy to even jot down travel notes in my journal for the 4th night in a row.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 33


Advertisement




17th January 2020

The Many Faces of Fes
That sounded like a cracking day out and the riad looks lovely. You've taken some smashing pictures too!
17th January 2020

The Many Faces of Fes
Thanks for your visit and the compliment on my photos, Malcolm!!
17th January 2020

Thanks for sharing Sylvia! The food sounds amazing. Ugh to the carpet store but at least you got mint tea. Great photos. I'd like to get to Fes with Kasha. One of these days!
17th January 2020

Thanks for sharing...
Thanks for your visit, Donna! I think Fes is just the kind of place you'd love. I'd didn't want to dwell on it but the most disheartening thing about the souks in the medina were the plethora of starving (yes, really) cats, so thinking of Kasha I want to forewarn you. Another woman and I saved meat from our meals to give them every chance we could. Otherwise everything was great.
17th January 2020

How beautiful!
Wow, Fes is certainly a must if we go back to Morocco! Your photos are lovely and your writing really brings the sights, colours, flavours and even the smells of the city to life. As for your riad, it looks absolutely the sort of place I love to stay!
17th January 2020

How beautiful!
Sarah, thanks for continuing to follow my Morocco blogs and for your very kind comment. I'm sure you'd like Fes and love the Riad Salam Fes (I have more photos of it to add to the blog). Fes has a unique character of its own, and the riad was more marvelous than I could have imagined.
17th January 2020

Another fan of Fes
I loved the way each place we visited in Morocco had its own feel and look. We found the Médina in Fes particularly attractive and atmospheric. Those carts - and the motorbikes- are such a hazard though. Such a pity you were still feeling less than on top form while you were there. I’d love so see more of your photos. Looking forward to the next episode!
17th January 2020

Another fan of Fes...
Thanks for your nice comments, Lesley! That's also one of the many things I liked about Morocco -- every place had it's own personality and distinct character. A fabulous country to visit!
19th January 2020

Beautiful Fes
I love your photos! They bring out the great beauty and colour of Fes and its wonderful architecture. You sure did pack a lot into one day! The food sounds delicious too! I'm sorry to read about your shin, that can't have been nice. How rude to not even apologise... I imagine you slept well indeed that night in your cosy Riad suite ?
19th January 2020

Beautiful Fes
Thanks so much for the nice comments, Alex! You're right, the day was packed with activity and I think maybe one or two of the sites could have been left off the itinerary to leave more time to soak up the atmosphere in a more leisurely way. The beautiful architecture and tile work mesmerized me and one of the things I loved about Morocco! As for my shin, it just ended up being bruised but wasn't that a strange way to get hurt. I promise you, things did get better as the trip went on, LOL!!
21st January 2020
King's Palace

King's Palace
I'm always on the lookout for new additions to our "Palaces & Castles" thread in the Photography Forum. Now there is this one from Morocco. Check out the thread and keep 'em coming Sylvia.
22nd January 2020
King's Palace

King's Palace
Hi Dave, thanks for reading and for your continued support!! I did check out the "Palaces and Castles" photography forum and there's some very interesting places shown. Thanks again!!
22nd January 2020
King's Palace

King's Palace
Hi Dave, thanks for reading and for your continued support!! I did check out the "Palaces and Castles" photography forum and there's some very interesting places shown. Thanks again!!
30th January 2020
Chouara Tannery

Fes
We loved the chaos and allure of Fes. Thanks for the memories.
30th January 2020
Chouara Tannery

Fes
Thanks for the visit, Binkleys! There was so much to love about Morocco. I definitely have wonderful memories of Fes too!
3rd February 2020

Old Fes
I love the look of your riad! If we ever return to Fes, we may have to bite the bullet and stay in the thick of things to get a different feel than we did in the French quarter. However with such a lovely looking riad, I would be tempted to never leave its peacefulness. How hectic were the souqs? I'm sorry to hear that you got hurt. Hope your leg recovered well and didn't impact the rest of your trip.
3rd February 2020

Old Fes
Thanks for reading along! Our riad was in a word, unbelievable! The only downside was that when the sun was not shining, our room was kind of dark and lighting could have been better. As for my leg, I only ended up with a big bruise -- pretty minor in the scheme of things since it could have been worse!

Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 22; qc: 111; dbt: 0.1208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb