The Many Faces of Fes


Advertisement
Africa » Morocco » Fès-Boulemane » Fes
January 14th 2020
Published: January 16th 2020
Edit Blog Post

Leaving the remarkable ruins of Volubilis behind us, thoughts about what we had just seen in the historic Roman city still rambled around in our brains but it was time to move on. Driving in an easterly direction, our destination was the city of Fes, once the capital of Morocco and an important trade crossroads. So far the landscape had been rather bland and sparsely populated with only a few unre... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 21


Advertisement






17th January 2020

The Many Faces of Fes
That sounded like a cracking day out and the riad looks lovely. You've taken some smashing pictures too!
17th January 2020

The Many Faces of Fes
Thanks for your visit and the compliment on my photos, Malcolm!!
17th January 2020

Thanks for sharing Sylvia! The food sounds amazing. Ugh to the carpet store but at least you got mint tea. Great photos. I'd like to get to Fes with Kasha. One of these days!
17th January 2020

Thanks for sharing...
Thanks for your visit, Donna! I think Fes is just the kind of place you'd love. I'd didn't want to dwell on it but the most disheartening thing about the souks in the medina were the plethora of starving (yes, really) cats, so thinking of Kasha I want to forewarn you. Another woman and I saved meat from our meals to give them every chance we could. Otherwise everything was great.
17th January 2020

How beautiful!
Wow, Fes is certainly a must if we go back to Morocco! Your photos are lovely and your writing really brings the sights, colours, flavours and even the smells of the city to life. As for your riad, it looks absolutely the sort of place I love to stay!
17th January 2020

How beautiful!
Sarah, thanks for continuing to follow my Morocco blogs and for your very kind comment. I'm sure you'd like Fes and love the Riad Salam Fes (I have more photos of it to add to the blog). Fes has a unique character of its own, and the riad was more marvelous than I could have imagined.
17th January 2020

Another fan of Fes
I loved the way each place we visited in Morocco had its own feel and look. We found the Médina in Fes particularly attractive and atmospheric. Those carts - and the motorbikes- are such a hazard though. Such a pity you were still feeling less than on top form while you were there. I’d love so see more of your photos. Looking forward to the next episode!
17th January 2020

Another fan of Fes...
Thanks for your nice comments, Lesley! That's also one of the many things I liked about Morocco -- every place had it's own personality and distinct character. A fabulous country to visit!
19th January 2020

Beautiful Fes
I love your photos! They bring out the great beauty and colour of Fes and its wonderful architecture. You sure did pack a lot into one day! The food sounds delicious too! I'm sorry to read about your shin, that can't have been nice. How rude to not even apologise... I imagine you slept well indeed that night in your cosy Riad suite ?
19th January 2020

Beautiful Fes
Thanks so much for the nice comments, Alex! You're right, the day was packed with activity and I think maybe one or two of the sites could have been left off the itinerary to leave more time to soak up the atmosphere in a more leisurely way. The beautiful architecture and tile work mesmerized me and one of the things I loved about Morocco! As for my shin, it just ended up being bruised but wasn't that a strange way to get hurt. I promise you, things did get better as the trip went on, LOL!!
21st January 2020
King's Palace

King's Palace
I'm always on the lookout for new additions to our "Palaces & Castles" thread in the Photography Forum. Now there is this one from Morocco. Check out the thread and keep 'em coming Sylvia.
22nd January 2020
King's Palace

King's Palace
Hi Dave, thanks for reading and for your continued support!! I did check out the "Palaces and Castles" photography forum and there's some very interesting places shown. Thanks again!!
22nd January 2020
King's Palace

King's Palace
Hi Dave, thanks for reading and for your continued support!! I did check out the "Palaces and Castles" photography forum and there's some very interesting places shown. Thanks again!!
30th January 2020
Chouara Tannery

Fes
We loved the chaos and allure of Fes. Thanks for the memories.
30th January 2020
Chouara Tannery

Fes
Thanks for the visit, Binkleys! There was so much to love about Morocco. I definitely have wonderful memories of Fes too!
3rd February 2020

Old Fes
I love the look of your riad! If we ever return to Fes, we may have to bite the bullet and stay in the thick of things to get a different feel than we did in the French quarter. However with such a lovely looking riad, I would be tempted to never leave its peacefulness. How hectic were the souqs? I'm sorry to hear that you got hurt. Hope your leg recovered well and didn't impact the rest of your trip.
3rd February 2020

Old Fes
Thanks for reading along! Our riad was in a word, unbelievable! The only downside was that when the sun was not shining, our room was kind of dark and lighting could have been better. As for my leg, I only ended up with a big bruise -- pretty minor in the scheme of things since it could have been worse!

Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 33; qc: 102; dbt: 0.095s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb