Background: In 788, about a century after the Arab conquest of North Africa, successive Moorish dynasties began to rule in Morocco. In the 16th century, the Sa'adi monarchy, particularly under Ahmad AL-MANSUR (1578-1603), repelled foreign invaders and inaugurated a golden age. In 1860, Spain occupied northern Morocco and ushered in a half century of trade rivalry among European powers that saw Morocco's sovereignty steadily eroded; in 1912, the French imposed a protectorate over the country. A protracted independence struggle with France ended successfully in 1956. The internationalized city of Tangier and most Spanish possessions were turned over to the new country that same year. Morocco virtually annexed Western Sahara during the late 1970s, but final resolution on the status of the territory remains unresolved. Gradual political reforms in the 1990s resulted in the establishment of a bicameral legislature in 1997. Parliamentary elections were held for the second time in September 2002 and municipal elections were held in September 2003.
Photos from Fès-Boulemane
Blogs from Fès-Boulemane
Latest Blogs from Fès-Boulemane
- September 4th 2013 Morocco 31 Aug to 8 Sept 2013
by Words: 1233 Photos: 89
- May 29th 2013 First days in Morocco
by Words: 1321 Photos: 5
- May 21st 2013 Fes
by Words: 345 Photos: 0
- May 11th 2013 MOROCCAN MEDINA MADNESS
by Words: 941 Photos: 2
- May 5th 2013 The Heights of Fes
by Words: 340 Photos: 35
- May 4th 2013 Remember, the only difference between disaster and a good story is time.....
by Words: 395 Photos: 7
- May 4th 2013 City of Cats...
by Words: 344 Photos: 22
- March 21st 2013 An absolutely fabulous press release, but yet, another goodbye…..
by Words: 1032 Photos: 21
- March 17th 2013 ONE MORE DAY! And…..new things in an old city! (Fes, Old Medina)
by Words: 1683 Photos: 62
- March 11th 2013 Youtube, the souq and a bus to nowhere!!! (Ain Cheggag and Fes... two for the price of one!)
by Words: 1713 Photos: 51
- March 9th 2013 Médina de Fès ( ou Comment Apprendre à se Perdre )
by Words: 1229 Photos: 11
- March 3rd 2013 Anticipation and a day off... Life in Ain Cheggag is drawing to a close.
by Words: 777 Photos: 54
- February 27th 2013 Priceless memories... OR Home delivered doves, spray paint, weddings and a human barbie doll
by Words: 1238 Photos: 34
- February 25th 2013 A great day-trip! (Ifrane, Azrou, El Hajeb, et al.)
by Words: 1047 Photos: 96
- February 23rd 2013 Cold, cold, cold and even more cold! or A trip to Fes and learning to brush your teeth!
by Words: 517 Photos: 46
- February 17th 2013 Trying to catch our breath! (Ain Cheggag)
by Words: 1143 Photos: 94
- February 10th 2013 Finally... a short reprieve!!! Our oasis getaway on the border of Ain Cheggag.
by Words: 1056 Photos: 35
- February 10th 2013 Bye bye couscous et thé à la menthe… Bonjour Spaghetti et vin rouge!!!
by Words: 866 Photos: 1
- February 3rd 2013 Tbourida, Guns and Fresh Baked Bread...
by Words: 3157 Photos: 84
- February 2nd 2013 The dar chebab, the kids and our day trip to Fes!
by Words: 1092 Photos: 34