Thursday, February 24th, 2011


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province
February 24th 2011
Published: March 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today is our last day in Bumala so we thought we would try to venture into the village a little before we headed to the school. We walked together to the market and began to break up with a plan to meet up at the school at lunch time. We were all very excited about this and took full advantage of our freedom. Some went into the market and purchased a bunch of oranges and mangos to give to the children that followed us to the school every day while some others experienced our very first taste of sugar cane. I personally enjoyed it but probably wouldn’t go out of my way to have it again. I gave most of my piece to a young boy who passed at the most opportune time.
We met back at the school just before lunch. After walking a couple hours in the heat of the morning we all claimed our space of shade and tried to soak up as much of our surroundings as possible, while trying not to remember that it was our last chance. A few days before we left Canada we had received our order of yearbooks that were created from previous trips. Of course, everyone loved them and ended up purchasing one to have all the students sign their pictures. We were able to take advantage of this time to get our last signatures before it was too late.
After lunch Jennifer, Kristina, Kamal and I decided to break out the face paints and bracelet making supplies, we were going to get crafty. We plunked down in the shade and went broke it all out. We had quiet the assembly line. Kristina, Kamal and I were making 30 second friendship bracelets while Jennifer did face paints. Luckily Meryl decided to join in and gave Jennifer a hand as her creations took a bit more time and effort than ours did.
By about 3pm, everyone was starting to assemble for the big show!! We started with the Baby and Nursery classes who showed everyone their picture frames that they/we had coloured, Class 1 did song and poem while showing off some homemade beaded jewellery they made, Class 2 and 3 did a couple choreographed dances along with some of their teachers, Class 4 did a song and poem with homemade puppets and Classes 5 and 6 presented an inspirational song. The Form 1 Class (Grade 9) didn’t have a presentation but they did have a special Tie-dye workshop with Wildman the previous day so they were able to show off their beautiful creations. They all did so well. Especially those that did presentations as they were only really given a couple hours to learn and practice but you would never have known it. After the votes were taken, all of the kids were winners and were given candy as well as a small picture of Jennifer, Dad (Todd), Heather and I. I am sure they barely made the trip home in their sweaty little hands but they loved them.
After the presentation it was time to start the dreaded goodbyes. We met with the teachers in the staff room first. We gave them a few words of encouragement to continue the amazing work that they do and a huge thank you for the incredible hospitality that they have shown us. Charles also said a few words of thanks to our volunteers and to ask them all to return with their friends.
We went on to join a big circle in the school yard with all of the students and teachers and we went around and said goodbye to everyone. It was finally time to go and every single one of us dragged it out to the very last second. It was sad to know that it was the last time you would walk back to the hotel with a crowd of kids following you. It will be the last time we sit in the shade while the kids pile on top each other just to be near us. It felt like leaving family behind. They looked us in the eye and asked us not to forget about them.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.222s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb