Wednesday


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Western Province
February 23rd 2011
Published: March 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

After arriving at the school we relaxed in the shade for a while. Today there were plans for the grandmothers to come to the school for lunch. When they came we all greeted each other as long lost family. They were the grandmothers from the walk we had done on Sunday to visit them all at their homes and if you meet a Kenyan once, you are friends for life. We had planned ahead of time to purchase some blankets, pots, dishes and buckets for water to give to them as a gift. The Patch Adams group also brought with them bags full of cloths for both adults and children. We all handed the items out to the grandmothers and they were so grateful. It was overwhelmingly emotional for many of us. A few members of our group said a few words of thanks and encouragement to the grandmothers to express how much we respect them for their courage and bravery. They take these children in when they have nowhere else to go. It is a superstition here that when you take in an orphaned child, they will steel the good fortune from your family. These women rise above this and do whatever they possibly can to provide for these children who have no one in the world to love them. How can you properly extend thanks to someone so self sacrificing?
Our cooks then brought out a meal of rice and kidney beans for all of us to share. It was such an inspiring moment to be sitting with all of these amazing women. One of the grandmothers was 90 years old and cares for 4 orphans and being the sole provider for them by selling baskets. It was very humbling.
There was then a short speech from them done by a representative. It was a welcoming and a thanks to us for what we have done for their families and the community. It was a vote of sorts from the elders that they accept us in their community. All I could think about besides the fact of how amazing they are, is thank god they don't know the truth about how we live because I would die of shame right then and there.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.247s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb