Africa, continued!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province » Masai Mara NP
November 24th 2006
Published: November 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Good morning, everyone!

Well, before I head to breakfast, I will fill you in on another African adventure......the hot air balloon ride! Another "first" for me, and I will admit that, once again, my heart was pounding. But, as Tina and I have decided on this journey, we will "feel the fear and do it anyway!".

We signed up for the ride, along with 15 others in our group. There are 2 large balloons and Peter, our pilot, is from Texas originally. He lived in Pasadena, Calif. when he got a job offer in Africa and, in his words: "I haven't worked a day since!". He loves it here. Has been doing this for 12 years. He has room and board at the Lodge, makes $2,000US/month and gets 2 months off each year at which time he returns to the U.S. for holidays. He doesn't miss the hustle and bustle of our lives but rather prefers the serenity and beauty of Africa. Can't say as I blame him. But I don't know that I could live here either!

The balloon ride was a bit pricey: $375US each, which included a champagne breakfast. But, it is something I would
Our happy teamOur happy teamOur happy team

We all fit in quite comfortably and yes, it was hot, under that flame!
probably never do again, so I signed up. Yes, I was nervous, but in hindsight, so very glad that I did it. Our "wake up call" (such as it was) was at 4:30 a.m. (it was a knock on the door!). Into the vans and a 20 minute drive to the launch site. It was still dark and those roads are really bumpy! We were all quite excited! Tom and Bonnie (from Calgary) were with us. We watched as the balloons were inflated; the other group of people were from Australia, New Zealand, England and Iceland. We caught up with them at the champagne breakfast.

Weather conditions were perfect. The sky was a bit overcast and that was a good thing because with the heat from the flame in the balloon and any sun at all, we would have fried. Well, I would have anyway.

So we were up, up and away. What a ride! What an experience! It was so very peaceful up there! We went up to 2,000 feet, up and down and up and down. We had a tremendous view, which included quite a few animals too. What fun! Jill, from Montreal, was with us (she is a retired Speech Therapist) and this was her dream on the whole trip. It is so much fun to see people's dreams come true!

The landing was pefect (thank God!!!!). Didn't even know that you were coming down out of the sky! Peter said he loves his job because it's like going sailing each and every day (wouldn't that be lovely, Art?????!!!). The ground crew and the breakfast crew were there waiting for us! Out of the basket and over to the breakfast table! It was surreal. Something from "Out of Africa". Breakfast in the middle of the desert (if that's what you call it)?????? Wow! What an adventure! The pictures will show the story.

Then, it was back in the van for a mini-safari and more animal sightings. Peter is very knowledgeable about this area. He took us down a road that was build on volcanic ash. It is just all so interesting. This is the way one should learn geography, culture, and so on! Get right out there and do it!

Anyway, that was the balloon ride! Another "first" and another great memory. I'll add an additional blog note this afternoon about the
Me with the Aussies at breakfastMe with the Aussies at breakfastMe with the Aussies at breakfast

What a fun bunch! They were most intrigued by our "around the world tour". They are on a 9 week "road trip".
amazing trip to the Masai Mara village. That's a huge WOW!

Bye for now,

Happy Pat


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Filling the balloonFilling the balloon
Filling the balloon

So interesting to watch.
We're heading upWe're heading up
We're heading up

The other balloon is just behind us.
The bug that greeted us!The bug that greeted us!
The bug that greeted us!

We had tea at the lodge before leaving at 5 a.m. This is a rhino-beetle! Yuk!
A practice landing....A practice landing....
A practice landing....

This is how you sit in the basket in the event of a windy and rough landing!
Back to the LodgeBack to the Lodge
Back to the Lodge

We headed back to meet up with the group and have an African beer!


24th November 2006

Hi Pat....
I'm an employee of the Travel Guild and Pat, I must say, your blogging and photos of your trip around the world are absolutely incredible. I come on everyday to see what you're all up to and am fascinated with your adventures. I'm happy to read that you are enjoying yourself, it really is the trip of a lifetime. You're doing an outstanding job and I must say that photo of Ben (my boss!!!) on the camel is making it's way to my desktop wallpaper...lol! Thanks for blogging Pat. Enjoy the rest of the tour. Take care and God Bless. -JENNIFER (Travel Guild)
25th November 2006

wow
Africa seems an adventure on its own. It will be really hard to come back into reality after all this. You are making memories to last you a lifetime.
28th November 2006

Exactly like in Australia!!!
Hi Pat, I'm so excited just to see your pictures because your ballon ride is EXACTLY the same idea like when Brigitte and I were in the Australian desert!!! Despite th fact you were a little scared, it's an amazing experience to see the sunrise in the high rise! See you soon!

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 75; dbt: 0.1804s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb