Day 2!


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province » Nairobi
February 17th 2009
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello, this will be a quick blog as I am leaving for Bumala in the next hour.

Yesterday was a very busy day. Began with Charles and Pius joining us at our hotel so that we could head to the Kawangware slums together. We figured it would be safer this way. Only there was a little miscommunication such that I thought Charles was organizing the transportation for the ride in. Luckily we secured a driver through the travel agent who is helping us out.

Charles gave us a tour of the dorms that he is renting for 26 students at the Kawangware school. He showed us the mattresses and mosquito nets that he purchased using One Child’s Village funds. However, they still need several mattresses. Right now, the girls sleep on 2” deteriorated foams over wooden slats - 2 and sometimes 3 per bed.

We then got to visit each classroom (baby class to Class6) and say hello to the students. Some students remember me from the last visit which is neat! The students recited poems to “the visitors” and sang songs. Afterwards, we saw them receive their lunch - a bowl of rice. They used to receive beans with the rice, however inflation has limited them to a strictly rice diet for now. They hope to provide a more balanced diet soon…

What really stood out for me were the teachers. They seem so invested in the children. Though Charles says that he has lost some teachers due to lowered wages (about $50 per month). He wishes he could pay them a higher wage so that they can have continuity with their staff rather than deal with such disruptions.

Afterwards back to the hotel for a quick lunch followed by a visit to a Kenyan lawyer we’ve been connected to. We hope to learn more about what is required to have a more formal presence in Kenya given the work we do. Should we become registered in Kenya? How would this facilitate (or hamper?) the work that we do?

Today we leave for Bumala. We have a mini-van so we thought we would offer Charles and Pius to come along with us rather than take the onerous public transportation. It will be a great opportunity to get caught up with Charles during the 8-hour drive  I also feel safer with his presence. Seeing him again simply warms my heart. It feels like we’ve been in touch the whole time since I last saw him two years ago!

S o no internet for the next few days for me - though Charles and I will explore a new inexpensive technology here that may enable him to have internet in Bumala using the computer they have. What I can tell you for now is that Charles wants to do an official “ribbon-cutting” ceremony for the kitchen they just built as well as for the new classroom addition we constructed over last fall. I will then hand out the uniforms to the new students who have joined this January. Also have a field trip in store with the children to Port Victoria. A great educational outing!

Gotta go have breakfast. Talk to you soon!

Cristelle


Advertisement



Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb