Ghana


Advertisement
Ghana's flag
Africa » Ghana » Northern » Tamale
August 1st 2012
Published: August 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Wow, hard to believe we are halfway thru our time here. We have completed the first assignment and will start the 2nd one tomorrow. We are having a great time!

We arrived in Accra, Ghana last Sunday night after 26 hrs of flying time. We were picked up by the ACDI/VOCA driver after an hour and a half waiting to get thru customs. After 10pm by the time we reached our nice hotel, we looked at the paper work they had just given us, only to find out we were scheduled on the next morning flight at 7:15am to Tamale, a one hour flight to the North! So up by 5:30am we are up and running! And it continued that busy for the rest of the week.

Our project was working with a 'nucleous' farmer. He works with 800 local farmers for 36 communities that included 2000 acres. Our goal was to improve his recordkeeping and financial management up his farming operation. And to do that in 5 days. It was intense, and brought back many memories of Kenya. Fortunately the Kenya background helped us get up to speed. The area was 20 miles west of the Togo border and very rural. We stayed in a small town about 45 minutes away.

Muyo and his agents were very knowledgeable and receptive to lots of ideas. But we were beat by the end of each day. Now we are writing our report and ready to begin again tomorrow. This project we will stay in Tamale, which is the capital of the Northern region, "Tamale is the third most populous settlement in Ghana, in terms of population, with a population of 537,986 people (2012 census) per Wikipedia, although it definitely does not feel that large. But there are alot of people out and about.

And right now we have a very fast internet, so I will get this posted! Hope all is well with everyone. We are having a great time!

E&M


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The road to WapuliThe road to Wapuli
The road to Wapuli

The amazing red, red soil of Africa. We are in the rainy season and most of the land has been planted, so it is a beautiful green contrast with the red earth,
Macy, Muyo's wifeMacy, Muyo's wife
Macy, Muyo's wife

She was a delight! And cooked us delicious lunches


1st August 2012

Sounds fun.
You guys are having a wonderful adventure. Keep up the good work/play. I hope you can get some ugali-like meals too. Take it all in and enjoy every moment. Safiri salama.
1st August 2012

Great
Thanks for sharing...always good to know about your adventures!
1st August 2012

Thanks!
I love the story and photos. Thanks for sharing! - Julie
2nd August 2012

Love all the photos and the story!
So you can ride a bike? I would never doubt it : ) You can do almost anything! Enjoy and keep the photos coming. The snail is so kodachrome!
3rd August 2012

Wow - you two do amazing, wonderful stuff! Have fun - hope you get some rest! Love, Kathy

Tot: 0.727s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 37; qc: 156; dbt: 0.2135s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb