Deep underground


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Oromia Region » Sof Omar
January 15th 2007
Published: January 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View from the roadView from the roadView from the road

The views from the road to Sof Omar were spectacular in themselves! Photo by Liza and Rupert.
Liza and Rupert again took pity on me and took me out for the day to Sof Omar caves - a three hour drive from Robe. The drive itself was spectacular and took us through huge wheat fields before becoming more like you would imagine Africa to be, complete with acacia trees. Rupert used to be a farmer, so it was also educational for me … hopefully I will remember what he told us about grain production. There were a mix of small fields, presumably harvested by hand, and huge expanse with up to 6 combine harvesters.

We stopped for breakfast (eggs, bread and tea) in Goro and eventually wove our way down to the small village at the entrance to the caves. We negotiated a price (150 birr each - very expensive on a VSO allowance) for Abdul and Hussein to lead us into the depths, and headed down to the river, which was alive with children playing (mainly boys), women doing laundry, young men bathing and cattle drinking.

The caves, which are described in my guidebook as “thought to be among the largest underground caverns in the world”, were incredible. There were pillars to rival those in
Scary bridge!Scary bridge!Scary bridge!

Photo by Liza and Rupert.
a cathedral and the walk through them, by torchlight, involved wading through 7 lots of water. The first, which I admit I found scary, was wading, at waist height, against a very strong current and clinging onto the rock wall to avoid being swept into oblivion. We also had to edge across a raging chasm on two veritable twigs. Half way across, I was informed by one of our guides “it is very deep!” Thanks! But, the cost and the 'danger' were definitely worth it!

On return, through dry scrub, to the village, we went for a swim, much to the amusement of an audience of children. Rupert ably distracted them while Liza and I got dried on a rock.

Unfortunately, none of the 12 batteries I bought in Robe worked, but Liza and Rupert have given me copies of their photos, and said I could use them on my travel blog. I think the pictures do much more justice than the words I can find.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The river at Sof OmarThe river at Sof Omar
The river at Sof Omar

Photo by Liza and Rupert.
Sof Omar CavesSof Omar Caves
Sof Omar Caves

Photo by Liza and Rupert.
Sof Omar CavesSof Omar Caves
Sof Omar Caves

Photo by Liza and Rupert.
Wading through riversWading through rivers
Wading through rivers

Photo by Liza and Rupert.
Bridge over the chasmBridge over the chasm
Bridge over the chasm

Photo by Liza and Rupert.
Our guidesOur guides
Our guides

Photo by Liza and Rupert.
Sof Omar CavesSof Omar Caves
Sof Omar Caves

Photo by Liza and Rupert.
The gorgeThe gorge
The gorge

View on coming out of Sof Omar caves. Photo by Liza and Rupert.
SwimmingSwimming
Swimming

Photo by Liza and Rupert.
Picnic on the way homePicnic on the way home
Picnic on the way home

Photo by Liza and Rupert.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb