Treasures on the Nile


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Upper Egypt
February 24th 2010
Published: February 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Aswan early in the morning and it was good to get to the hotel and have a shower . The train is a great way to travel .I had my own room...I am the odd (no jokes please ) female so I do not share a room with anyone and I did not have to pay for a single (lucky me). Anyway the train car we had was all 2 berth compartments . Unfortunately there was no cafe car so we visited from room to room and many who had arrived wed/thursday were still coping with time change so it was probably best.

Aswan is an interesting place VERY used to tourist . The hotel was a resort with many services offered but the pool was the only we used each day we were there . It has been @30C or more since I arrived . Ramone cautioned us that it would get cool in the night though... turns out that means anything under 22C .

The next morning was an early one . Wake up at 2:30 am for coffee and cake leaving the hotel in our van at 3 to join the first convoy to Abu Sambal . In the 90's there had been trouble for the tourist industry (people were shooting at them!) and the government started insisting on convoys with police escorts to out-of-the-way sites. Abu Sambal is @ 3 hours drive from the city and it still has convoys . 3 each day and we took the early and returned with the second to give us more time .

WOW...what a site...you are probably familiar with the 4 faces staring out over the lake but it is so much more than that. It was MOVED when the high dam was built for it would have been submerged by Lake Nasser . Thar was an engineering feat of major proportions for it had been carved out of a mountain in one piece. They figured out how and where to cut these massive blocks and install them into/onto a man made mountain which looks very matural to me . We are talking huge here ...if you are interested I am sure you can find the info on line .

The interior of the Temples ...there are two One for RamsesII and one for his favoured wife Nefertiti ... have several chambers with walls covered in the most amazing carving/paintings . They show the prowess of Ramses as a warrior , the offerings to the gods , scenes of daily life ,animals...all in the most incredible detail IN COLOUR ...we are talking about work done thousands of years ago in "primitive" times . It is sad that that work and wisdom /science and art got "lost " after the Roman Empire fell ... or maybe it didn't??

It was awesome and well worth the bus ride . I was able to sleep both ways so when we returned to Aswan was able to enjoy the Souk (although the touts do hassle if you let them ) and later on an Egyptian meal . The food is really good , WAY to much and costs very little . @$10 Canada feeds you well . The beer is Stella and it is $4/500ml... in the heat it tastes real good . Not as bitter as the one at home.

The following morning we set off on a 24hr journey on a Felluca . An Egyptian sail boat which was so easy and relaxing . I had gotten some bug and was always pleased to see the supply boat (washrooms , and eating area upstairs ) . It was good to sleep and get rid of whatever with having to move anywhere. Some Zantax from a fellow travellor and some other med that Ramone got at a farmacia had me feeling fine in 24 hours.

Next stop was here in Luxor and a visit to the Karnak temple and light show last night followed by a wake-up call at 5am for a donkey ride into the Valley of the kings ...Right a DONKEY ride...after the first fears of falling off , and watching one donkey run amuck crashing into another and one of our guys falling off ...we all relaxed and carried on for another hour.

After seeing Tut's STUFF in the Museum in Cairo it was fitting to enter his tomb and see both his mummy and the red granite sarcophagus in situ . It wasn't spectacular but I am glad I paid the extra . We entered 3 other tonbs (one was to deep and hot I had to turn back ) but they are all interesting . The surface of each was covered with liquid limestone which was dried for months until it cured . Then it was polished , carved ,painted and (I forget #6). Beautiful work . We always went to Hapshepsuts Temple and it is as majestic as Ramses was . It overlooks the Nile and it too was carved into a mountain.

Enough for now . I have been playing with this entry for several days now it is time to send it on.

Hope all is well.











Advertisement



24th February 2010

Funny bugs traveling with you. I guess it is to suspect. So it is hot I see, I will take cool clothes. Could you walk freely in Aswan? Is it relax or very busy? The description of the sites makes it beautiful. Enjoy. Suzanne
25th February 2010

Interesting travels. What exactly is Tut's stuff? Just kidding! Take care . . .

Tot: 0.558s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.165s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb