Dahab - Red Sea


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Sinai » Dahab
October 29th 2009
Published: October 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 12-14 Dahab
The Bishbishi camp is a motel style accommodation very close to the centre of Dahab. It is run down and in dire need of a serious makeover but that it true of much of what we have seen in Egypt. There seems little pride in Egypt. Litter is everywhere and many services are dysfunctional. I could list a whole lot of things wrong with the Hotel but perhaps best summarized by one of our group getting a nasty electric shock in the bathroom.

Dahab is a “chill out” zone for 4 days of our tour. Sean has just completed 4 scuba dives over 2 days and I spent an afternoon snorkeling around and near the “Blue Hole” this is an amazing coral reef coastline about 5km north of Dahab. For 25LE or $5 Australian we were driven to dive site and provided with equipment for 4 hours of snorkeling. The reef is magnificent and Mountains of the Sinai Peninsula are directly behind the coastline, these are imposing and inhospitable. It is quite a contrast to the abundance of reef life. The Blue Hole is impressive as it drops away to 200M in depth just a few meters from the shore. We spent the 4 days relaxing and eating, drinking a few beers of course and inevitably someone organized a party in the girls flat. This was a run down 2 bedroom apartment at the very rear of the property. At least they had a fridge.

Our “Hotel” is at the run down end of the town with lots of construction of new buildings and a quite a bit of renovation going on but unfortunately not at our hotel. The owner/operator is called Jimmy most of the time he wanders between the Hotel/Camp and the Funny Mummy restaurant which is on the promenade. For want of a better description he sports a cowboy style hat stapled in the middle during the day and the evening. Early morning you might find him walking around the camp in more traditional Muslim garb. My thoughts are that my good mate Ray and I should make Jimmy an offer for the whole operation and in two months Ray and I being the handymen that we are will have the complex so neat and tidy that we could sell it back to him for double our money.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Ferry SunsetFerry Sunset
Ferry Sunset

Paddy from NZ and Sean


Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.098s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb