Pyramids


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
October 15th 2006
Published: October 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

p1.htmlp1.htmlp1.html

Us at the great Pyramid of Giza!
Wow! Our time in Egypt flew by. We didnt have time to update the blog as we went so get comfy and read about our time in Egypt.

The tour started off with a visit to the pyramids and the Sphinx. It was quite surprising as we were driving through the downtown part of Cairo and could see the tips of the pyramids imerging between the sky scrapers. They appear out of nowhere and are bigger than can ever be explained. There are 3 pyramids at this site including the Great Pyramid.

We were able to enter the second largest pyramid - quite an experience. We had to climb down 37 metres (in the dark while bending over to the knees because the crawl spaces are so small) then climb back up 37 metres to the middle of the pyramid. It is an incredibly uncomfortable and hot climb but well worth it. In the middle is the open tomb where you can lie down and see where the bodies where laid.

The cops rode around on camels and caused quite a sight when they were chasing the touts out.

We boarded the overnight train to Luxor. In
p2.htmlp2.htmlp2.html

One of the Touts soliciting camel rides....before he got chased off by the cops.
the afternoon, under the scorching sun, we rode a horse drawn carriage to the Karnak temple and saw all the hyroglyphics. At night we took a boat to the West bank and had a traditional Egyptian meal outside, overlooking the Nile.

Early morning wake up call to cross the Nile and meet up with the donkies for a trek to the Valley of the Kings. Riding the donkey and seeing the country side at dawn was definately a high light of the trip. We entered 3 tombs at the Valley of the Kings. Funny how we were more impressed by the donkey ride than the tombs.

A quick dip in the pool then we headed for the train station for 4:30. The train was suppose to come at 5:30 but showed up 2 hours late. Then stalled at 8:30 for a few hours. We planned to arrive around 7:30 but rolled in after midnight. Fun times!

The next day was spent sipping beers while crusing down the Nile on a felucca. Saw all the villages pass and daily life on the Nile. I expected it to be a really dirty looking river but it was actually really
p3.htmlp3.htmlp3.html

Meg in front of the pyramid.
nice - still opted not to jump in but at least it looked nice. In the evening we got to go to a Nubian village for dinner. We had a fire and danced and sang then slept on the felucca.

The next day was spent lazing by the pool at the hotel and shopping around town. At night we boarded the overnight train back to Cairo.

Our last night with the tour was spent on a 5 star cruise boat. Dinner, belly and sufi dancing while cruising up the Nile.

Our last day we went to the Khan Al Khalili (the bazaar) to do some more shopping. It was really busy and the vendors got quite pushy at times. I don't think we got ripped off but we will never really know.

Overall, our time in Egypt was really good. We were apprehensive at first about doing a tour but now are very glad we chose to do so.


































Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

p4.htmlp4.html
p4.html

The three great pyramids of Giza with Cairo in the background.
p6.htmlp6.html
p6.html

The Sphinx and the second great pyramid.
p7.htmlp7.html
p7.html

Karnak temple in Luxor.
p8.htmlp8.html
p8.html

The West bank.
p9.htmlp9.html
p9.html

Meg and her donkey!
p10.htmlp10.html
p10.html

On the Felluca!
p11.htmlp11.html
p11.html

Chillin on the felluca
p12.htmlp12.html
p12.html

Sunset in Aswan!
p13.htmlp13.html
p13.html

Hyroglyphics.
h1.htmlh1.html
h1.html

The Sheesha! A traditional water pipe with flavoured tobbaco.
h2.htmlh2.html
h2.html

The fellucca with sail.
h3.htmlh3.html
h3.html

The spices of the bazaar.
h4.htmlh4.html
h4.html

The sufi dancing on our Nile cruise.


17th October 2006

So cool
Just have the time of your life... Pictures are so cool! Keep updating the blog. Aswan, get to see the dam. Visit any relocated temples - Ramses? And I guess it is back to Greece, over to Turkey, and then... Take care of each other.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb