Cairo and the Pyramids


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
June 10th 2008
Published: June 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left Luxor on the uncomfortable overnight train and headed for Cairo.

We arrived in Cairo at 6am and had a big day ahead of us. We went straight down to our accomodation dropped our bags and went out again.

The first stop the Egyptain mueseum and to say that it was busy was an understatement. The muesum was packed with tour groups and people everywhere, not suprising really considering how good the museum is. There are all sorts of exhibits however the best was definately the section dedicated to Tutankhaman, in this section was the famous gold mask of tutankhaman and many of the items from his tomb including his jewellery and his casket.

After spending a few hours fighting off the crowds we made our way to the Pyramids of Giza. These were amazing to see up close and the sheer size is just phenomenal. We spent a number of hours at the Pyramids just walking around, we also went inside one of the pyramids which was an experiece in itself. You crawl along a tiny roasting hot corridor for about 150m and finally you reach the inner room of the pyramid. Which contains nothing as it has all been removed so you crawl back to the outside. We also went on another camel ride and although this is a bit cliche it has to be done. The saddles this time were much more comfortable so we were able to actually enjoy the view as we went along.

After a few hours we went down to the sphinx which is also really amazing and it was funny just to stop and think that you are standing in front of the Pyramids.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0198s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb