The pyramids


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
April 19th 2008
Published: April 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We're HERE! Kim and I arrived in Cairo last night (Friday April 18th) at 9:00pm Egyptian time. After a little haggling we took a cab to meet up with Kathleen and then made our way to our hostel. The guy's running our hostel are pretty cool, so after checking in with them and arranging a tour for day we went to SLEEP!

We woke up this morning at about 7am and were out the door at 8am to see the pyramids of Giza. We took a taxi to a place outside the pyramids and then rode camels to the pyramids themselves. Kim and I learned VERY QUICKLY to hold on as the camel stands up and when it sits! It was really cool riding a pyramid through the desert and much cooler than if we'd been walking, it's HOT here!! It was a bit of a let down going inside the actual pyramids as you had to hunch and almost crawl through a tiny tunnel and then it opened up just into a room. I was impressed that with the number of tourists all crouching down and entering the pyramids there was no pushing and surprisingly no one fainted, it was HOT! Seeing the pyramids on the outside was amazing and seeing them up close I can't believe how much time and detail was put into making them, and in this heat! We also saw the sphinx and without realizing it we illegally entered the area w/o a ticket, oops! I policeman came over and demanded our tickets and we pulled out the ones we purchased at the other pyramid, which was good enough for the police, but Kathleen assured Kim and I that we needed a different ticket to see the sphynx and the pyramid immediately next to it, oops!

After the pyramids of Giza we met back up with our taxi driver and went to a papyrus shop. The guy there was really nice and showed us exactly how they make the papyrus paper and then Kim and I each bought a little papyrus picture, hers of a coptic cross and mine a map of Egypt, I'm excited to frame mine and hang it up in my room. Next we headed to the pyramids of Skarra (sp?) and that was cool. We got to see a step pyramid, versus the "perfect pyramids" was saw in Giza. We also went into the tombs and saw some amazing etchings on the walls.

Our next stop was Memphis and peeking through the gate we saw a HUGE statue of Ramsey II but by this time it was 2pm and the heat was getting to us. We decided to come back to our hostel and chill/nap/create travel blogs before dinner and going to see Sufi (sp?) dancing tonight.

Pictures will be uploaded later...

Advertisement



19th April 2008

Wow!
Wow, you are seeing a lot right away. You must have a great guide! Be safe, Dad
20th April 2008

Sounds like fun!
I can't wait to hear more and see pictures. Have a great time.
21st April 2008

Princess!
Do they call you Princess in Cairo too? Have to run, but sounds like your're off to a great start.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb