Machu Picchu


Advertisement
South America
June 3rd 2006
Published: June 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

After the island we spent one more night in Copcabana then got a bus to Puno in Peru. We spent one night in Puno and went out with an American guy we met for lots of pisco spurs. Played an absolutely awesome game of Jenga which went on for hours and got very tense!

From Puno we got another bus to Cusco and arrived late and tired and grumpy. Ended up staying in a crappy hostel but moved the next day and started exploring. Its a really beautiful city although quite touristy and a theres a lot of people who hassle you all the time to get you into restaurants etc.

On Wednesday we started our four day Inca trail to Machu Picchu. There were about 20 of us in our group and nearly all the others are on a 3 week organised tour with Tucan Travel from La Paz to Lima. Everyone was really nice and we have made some new friends so will be out with them in Cusco tonight I think.

The first day was fairly easy walking along the side of the sacred valley. Just before we got to our campsite it started pouring down with rain which was fairly annoying. Throughout the tour we got 3 hot meals a day and afternoon tea and biscuits! Its the most we've eaten since we've been away I think!

The second day we tackled the first pass which basically consists of steps and a rocky path straight up the side of a mountain! It was tough but great when we got to the top although once again the views were slightly spoilt because of the clouds and there was a brief hailstorm just as we got to the highest point! The walk down the other side of the pass was possibly harder than the ascent as it was really tough on the knees but the clouds had cleared so the views were much better. We camped again and on the third day did 2 more passes and reached the final campsite.

Everytime we got tired we would look at our porters overtaking us with 20 kilos or so on their backs. They are incredibly hard and run parts of the trail, then put up our tents and cook for us. The oldest one was 62! Pretty humbling!

The campsite was the biggest of them all and they had hot showers and cold beer! There was much talk of a disco but in the end only a hardcore few of us made it and it was a few plastic chairs and some 80's classics! Had a good laugh though and ended up not getting to bed until about two am. Which doesnt sound too bad... but we were up at 4 this morning! Not nice!

The best story of the night came from Russel who had been walking ahead of the group for a while and decided to risk a trip into the bushes for a number two! When he came back out a belgian couple had an enormous camera pointed at the spot where he had been.. they thought they had spotted some wildlife in the bushes!

The final part of the trail this morning was only about two hours long, which was lucky as we were both a little the worse for wear! One of the guys in our group slipped off the edge at one point and had to be rescued by a rope of jumpers tied together.. luckily he only had scratches. We reached the sun gate (after yet more steps) and got our first view of Machu Picchu!

Its an awesome sight and was really intersting to explore as well although we were so tired we spent a few hours asleep on the grass as well!

We are now in Machu Picchu town and heading back to Cusco in a few hours. Very tired and achey think we might get massages tomorrow!
xxxxx

Advertisement



5th June 2006

way cool cat sounds like its turning out an awsome holiday! carry on having a great time and let us know when you are coming back. the lake sounded pretty cool and it looks like you've found the night life, just keep having fun. and so many cool animals. sussex is nice today but it isnt going to stay like this. big love kels xxxxxxx

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb