Isla Del Sol


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Just got back form a couple of nights on the Isla Del Sol. The island was great, really relaxing as theres no cars there, lots of donkeys though! It was really hilly though so pretty exhasting to get around. The restaurant we had dinner in on the first night was half way through construction! The sign on the wall said ´Welcome to the´ so we spent a lot of time inventing names. We had a lot of time as it took them about 2hrs to make our dinner! It was nice though, still eating a lot of the fresh trout from the lake.. its yummy.

On our full day on the island we took a boat to the otehr end and found ourselves in the middle of a fesival! There were lots of locals in fancy dress, blue or yellow elaborate dresses for the women and the mens outfits are very hard to explain but they were silver with lots of jewels on and looked a bit like robot costumes but with aztec masks!

There was a lot of crazy dancing and a hue brass band which appeared to only know one tune! We asked what the festival was for and were told something about the sun and also that it was mothers day! Any excuse for a party it seems!

From the village we hiked to an Inca Temple and supposedly the birthplace of the Sun. It was really interesting and beautiful with the sun shining down on the lake and the little bays behind. There was also a sacrificial table there (cue comedy sacrifice photos).

The walk back accross the island was a bit of a daunting prospect, we met some people as we were starting it and asked how long it had taken them. 6hrs was the answer and it was already 3pm! However we did it in just over 2 so either we are getting incredibly fit or they were very slow! (I think probably the second option!)

Our hitching abilities are becomming incredible though, went down to the harbour this morning expecting a long wait for a boat back to Copacabana as we thought there wasnt a boat until 3 or 4. Met some Scottish people who didnt want to wait and had booked a private boat, and managed to get a lift back for free! Heading into Peru tomorrow.

xxxxxxxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb