Project Brazil


Advertisement
South America
May 17th 2010
Published: May 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Me in Brazil on the WID vesselMe in Brazil on the WID vesselMe in Brazil on the WID vessel

Just enjoy the sunset and good tempratures after a long day of hard work and good progress
This is the last project during my traineeship year within Van Oord. I’m send to a river project in Brazil to work as a superintendent on a project with 3 working and one survey vessel.

The flight to Brazil went from Schiphol via Paris and Rio de Janeiro and ended in the hotel in Itajai. The travel started on Saturday night 3.00 and arrived 27 hours later in a hotel where I directly went top bed. After 6 hours of sleep I accompanied a colleague with breakfast and we went to the office. The office is on the eighth floor and looks over the city and the river where we work.

For lunch we go to a nice restaurant where you pay the food by kilo. You can take what you want and at the end its weighted and you pay…..the taste is good and divers. In the evening we go with the colleagues that also stay in the hotel to find out the nice small restaurants and taste the food. Here the beef and steak are delicious and big accompanied with rice and beans a meal is complete.

The first two days we had allot of rain,
Hotel VieuwHotel VieuwHotel Vieuw

Just what I see when i wake up, its a bit diffrent than my home town :)
especially the second day a tropical storm with heavy showers and wind falls. Some streets where flooded and the river capacity increased dramatically. The third day the clouds make place for the sun and the streets dried up. The temperature climbed up to a temperature of 20+ degrees.

-------------------------------
Now it is about 2 weeks later and the weather changes from tropical storms to very hot and dry days.
Last wednesday I had my first day off and a walk along the beach was planned. The nature is so nice, even it is winter. when walking underneath flowers that we have in the livingroom and see the surfers riding the huge waves i can imagine in summer this is a real paradise.

Some pictures are added so all of you can get an Idea about the location where I am for these 2 months.





Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

The town we dredge in The town we dredge in
The town we dredge in

This is one of the towns we dredge in, this is an area where poor fishing people live and are exposed to the floods of the river.
The crew of the vesselThe crew of the vessel
The crew of the vessel

The Brazilian crew that loves to be in the picture :)
The food The food
The food

This is a nice dinner on the vessel prepared by our cook "Poncho" he is a very good cook and i think I ate to much :)
Me in the officeMe in the office
Me in the office

Also office work belongs as a part of the job, during rain its no problem but during hot days i prefere to be on the vessel and increase productions and fine-tune the process.
Big black birdBig black bird
Big black bird

So nice how these "pirates of the sky" flow on the wind over the water. These birds are realy big and fast. Martijn, if you read this can you confirm if this is a fegat ??
Sun set above the HarbourSun set above the Harbour
Sun set above the Harbour

Just a nice vieuw
Rio de JaneiroRio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro

During my VOUB exams I had a short visist to the Copacabana beach
Watching the WK gameWatching the WK game
Watching the WK game

On the street manny people watch the game and use fire works......
Me near the Engine Me near the Engine
Me near the Engine

The engine of the 309
walkingwalking
walking

During one of my walks on a day off i saw this:
walkingwalking
walking

The vieuw
WalkingWalking
Walking

Wilde banaaaan
JummieJummie
Jummie

On the back salted chicken hearth and in the fron tenderlion.


Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb