"I won Mr Cusco 2009"/"I'm just feeding a dog some Pringles"


Advertisement
South America
July 6th 2009
Published: July 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So it's been an eventful week so far, it already feels like we've been traveling for months (which, give or take, must be a good sign).

The last couple of days in Lima were a blast. We sampled local cuisine called Cebiche which is basically raw fish marinated in lemon and chili. Neither of us could eat it so we had to leave straight away because it made us feel sick...very embarrassing! We saw a beautiful suburb called Miraflores and loved the colonial glamour of it all.

Then we had an awesomely drunk night at the Point Hostel with the friends we had made there with a twenty hour bus journey over the Andes with our friend Rob, all the way to Cusco with a hangover. Not fun.

In Cusco, about the second night, I was taken to the Emergency Dr suffering from acute altitude sickness and had to stay on oxygen for ten hours, it was scary but mostly boring! Since then I have been doing better and better with the altitude and we have been able to experience Cusco. My illness has stopped us a couple of times though, which has been a drag as I don't want to let Rose down, but we've muddled through.

Cusco is a great city, full of nightlife and energy, hot sun in the day and freezing at night, cobbled streets and people in traditional dress, with a very European feel. Peruvians are very friendly and kind people. We have been staying in the Point Hostel here too and seeing lots of familiar faces and meeting news ones, lots of hanging out.

This week we are off to the Inca ruins of the Sacred Valley. Thursday is on to Machu Picchu for two days, with one night in Aguas Calientes and then on Saturday it is back to Lima and Trujillo before heading North for some yummy sunshine!

Much love xxxx

Advertisement



15th July 2009

whoa!!
Take care, Pips, altitude sickness can be pretty nasty. Just look how i ended up!!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb