Burnt to a Crisp!


Advertisement
South America
November 14th 2006
Published: November 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Harbour at ParatyThe Harbour at ParatyThe Harbour at Paraty

View as we leave on our boat
Having played hard in Rio, Paraty was the perfect retreat for some R&R and some proper time to catch up with Lizzie.

As we mentioned before, our bus journey took longer than expected from Rio so we were glad when a rep from the hostel we planned to stay in came up offering rock bottom prices and a cab ride to the hostel. It was a lovely place with a pool and decks overlooking the river (Paraty is on a massive inlet). Lizzie, Laura (a fellow traveller we met in the Pantanal) and ourselves managed to get a four dorm together so Paul could finally make lots of jokes about sleeping with three women, etc, etc.

We decided to get on a money saving mission by mainly mooching about town in the day and cooking dinner in the hostel at night.

Paraty town is picture postcard, loads of renovated fishing houses and long straight streets of cottages. It also has a cute little harbour with tons of boats offering rides out of the inlet to various islands. On one particularly sunny day we decided to take one of these trips. It was excellent, we had the boat to ourselves and our own personal driver to take us around. We stopped at various beaches, swam in the clear blue sea and lay on the deck sunbathing - what a hard life! The only regret was that we were all rather cremated when we got back that night.

We ended the Paraty leg with a farewell lunch in a lovely little cafe. It was goodbye to Dids and Laura and goodbye to Brazil. Of course a few Caipirinhas ensued!

The lunch time tipple aided in the snoozing required to get us through the 6 hour, rather wiggly, bus ride to Sao Paulo. We stayed that night at a hotel by the airport as we had an early start to catch our flight to Buenos Aires the next day.

We were to catch our first British Airways flight since arriving in Toronto all those months ago and were strangley excited! Unfortunately BA didnĀ“t advertise British efficiency as they were 2 hours late leaving. However, it was nice to have english speaking cabin crew, be surrounded by english families (everybody sounded so posh!) and have our first cup of tea in months! They even played Faithless live at Glastonbury on the in-flight entertainment which for two people who broke their ipod 3 months ago and have great memories of Isle of Wight festivals, was great!

We arrived in Buenos Aires in high spirits which were soon to be dashed when we found that there was nowhere to stay...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Enjoying a beer with StonerEnjoying a beer with Stoner
Enjoying a beer with Stoner

The only male company Pauls had for a few days


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb