Take me down to Paradise city


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Insular » Los Roques
March 1st 2008
Published: June 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Mr Cool rocked up fashionably late and helps us check in to our flight over to Los Rocques. The wife was extremely excited at the prospect of spending an extended period on the island archipelago - despite being in the airport i was already applying the suncream.

The plane was small and noisey but the view out of the window was impressive. A distinct line where the reef begins signals the gateway to the islands and the onset of the bright turquoise water.

The airstrip is relatively short and not for the nervous. The airport facilities at Los Rocques limited to a hut and a bench. We paid our park entry fee and met the chap from our posada who kindly helped us with our bags. At Posada Cigala we were met by Enrique, the epitomy of chilled. Imagine if the Fonze was from Venezuela.

Our room in the posada was most pleasant and we started with a cold beer before being taken out on the speed boat to one of the islands nearby. If you like small sandy islands with clear water and blue sky its pretty good like. As it was the weekend we were told it would be busy. Whilst it wasn't deserted it most certainly wasn't the costas.

The wife was in her element and I settled into 'Penguins stopped play' a mighty fine read for anyone with even a partial liking of cricket. A tourist boat trip stopped nearby to provide som amusing people watching and then we were left in the company of the Pelicans. Crazy dudes no doubt. Good fun to watch.

Without even a hint of irony it sudenly clouded over and rained. I rejoiced in the brief displacement of heat. The rain lasted only a few minutes and was replaced by more sunshine, and signalled a further sun cream reapplication.

The Posada was all inclusive which made life considerably easier. For tea we had barracuda which was top class, very impressed. We also got intorduced to the rum. Splendid.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb