Tales of the Toucan


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Guayana » Orinoco Delta
July 11th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

toucan play at that gametoucan play at that gametoucan play at that game

The Toucan, showing off his beak to the girls
Deep in East Venezuela lies the Orinoco Delta, named after one of The Wombles. This is the country of swamps, mangroves, and endless networks of mucky rivers filled with pirhanas, caimans and anacondas (and other creatures which can be scientifically classified as "scaly things that bite"). We stayed at a place imaginatively entitled the "Orinoco Delta Lodge." By lodge standards this was a palace. The main area hada 30 foot high thatched roof, chunky furniture and tropical plants littered throughout. But they really should have called this "Dr Doolittle´s Lodge" because it was a crazy animal-filled menagerie! An assortment of well-kept cats, kittens and dogs were running around, sitting on laps and generally cavorting about the place. There was a parrot flying around, with whom I had various battles. It landed on my shoulder one time, and bit me on the side of the head. The next day it attacked a pair of my drying trousers and was trying to peck out the pockets. We ended up having a tug-of-war over the trousers. However, I had a comrade-in-arms against my arch-enemy, The Parrot. This was a toucan which, whilst not tame, showed no fear of man nor beast. It regularly swooped and dived through the lodge, brushing people´s shoulders with it´s wings as it flew past. I was most pleased to see regular attacks on The Parrot by my good friend, The Toucan. Although The Parrot could give as good as he got, and the battles were sometimes fast and furious. Another regular visitor was a baby tapir, which would waddle it´s way out of the jungle and investigate the lodge, sniffing around with it´s long bendy nose. I say baby tapir, but it was about the size of a shetland pony!

During the days we cruised the wetlands in a twin-engined speedboat, on the lookout for wildlife. We saw plenty of birds and monkeys, but failed to see the most interesting specimen of all, the acaconda. We also went fishing for pirhanas, using chicken as bait. I caught a small pirhana, two leaves and a twig.

The Orinoco Delta has been removed from the tour itinerary several years back, due to an incident with bandits. Deep in the Delta, the tour group had been ambushed and boarded by a boat of bandits. One of the Dragoman passengers had a shotgun barrel put in his mouth, until everyone else
pecking orderpecking orderpecking order

The Parrot has a cheeky nip at my cheek
handed over their valuables. The offenders were eventually caught and prosecuted. The area is now deemed safe, and is back on the itinerary, although we don´t venture as far as once they did.

Food at the lodge was excellent, but one morning we awoke to a rather unconventional breakfast. Apparently there is a nationwide egg shortage right now in Venezuela. For a country dedicated to consuming as many eggs as possible for breakfast, this is a problem! I can imagine egg riots in all the major cities, with gangs looting shops in search of the last remaining eggs. In light of this "egg emergency", Chavez has authorised eggs to be imported from other countries to avert a major egg catastrophe. So for breakfast we endured leftover tuna salad, and slices of fried spam from a tin (which was brought out to a tablewide chorus of the Monty Python Spam Song. "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam..."). I have an interesting story about Spam. It is very popular in islands in the South Pacific, such as Fiji and Vanuatu. The reason is historical, because these islands used to practice cannibalism, and apparently Spam is the closest taste to roasted human meat! Unfortunately I told this story over breakfast without thinking, and put everyone off their Spam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

aye aye captainaye aye captain
aye aye captain

preparing for a trip into the Delta
Worried CatWorried Cat
Worried Cat

The cat got in the boat and we headed off. Check out it´s expression as it realises it´s heading away from land!
wet wet wetwet wet wet
wet wet wet

On our way to the lodge in an open-top boat, it poured down with rain
a generous measurea generous measure
a generous measure

the bird helps itself to a drink
baby tapirbaby tapir
baby tapir

How big do these things grow?
The Parrot  vs The ToucanThe Parrot  vs The Toucan
The Parrot vs The Toucan

The Toucan is completely unaware that The Parrot is about to launch a suprise attack
the lodgethe lodge
the lodge

Amelia modelling the walkway outside the rooms


Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 36; qc: 150; dbt: 0.2239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb