Salto Angelo the highest waterfall of the world


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Guayana » Ciudad Bolívar
October 28th 2008
Published: November 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Canima and Angel Falls

After we had a great time with the girls in the Amazon we all decided to stay together and travel to Angel Falls. From Cuidad Bolivia we had to catch a local 5 seater plane to take the 1 hr flight to Canima. The views from the plane where fantastic of the winding rivers and all different types of trees as far as the eye cold see. Approx 10 minutes before we landed we caught sight and flew over a beautiful lagoon with a number of waterfalls which were spectacular from the air. This area was called the Aerea de Laguna y Saltos and you will see from the photos how amazing this place was.
Apon arrival we immediately got on a river boat 3 hrs up river where we stopped fro lunch where we all went swimming and sat under a waterfall. After the extremely uncomfortable journey on the boat we arrived at our jungle lodge and found our accommodation of hammocks to be very cosy. That evening we trekked 40 minutes up to Angel Falls and we were immediately amazed by the sight of the biggest waterfall in the world. As it was now dark we couldn´t wait till the next morning when we would come back and take photos.
Day 2 - we were all up at 5am for breakfast and then the 40 minute trek back to Angel Falls where we took in the sights and the magnificent views and our tour guide Gabriel told us of the helicopter that crashed into the side of the falls many years ago and the 3 Japanese climbers who climbed the waterfall in 21 days...that’s right 21 days...that means they slept while dangling from a rope!!! At the falls the weather was so hot and we made our way to another pool half way down and swam in there...this was fantastic. Shortly after this we took the 3 hr boat journey back to base. After lunch we visited the waterfalls we saw from the air (Aerea De Laguna y Saltos) and even walked under them and took some great photos.
After dinner and a few days of trekking and loads of relaxing in pools / rivers we all needed a good drink. At our camp site in Canima we bought a bottle of rum with us and a couple from Chile and our tour guide Gabriel joined us for a drink. It turned into a great night where we went through 4 bottles of rum, loads dancing and a lot of laughs...It’s fair to say we were pissed.
The next morning with tender heads Stefano and I had to say goodbye to the girls who were great fun as we were heading down different destinations.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Waterfall in the lagunaWaterfall in the laguna
Waterfall in the laguna

This is the Waterfall that we walked under


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb