Walking under the waterfall, the coolest thing ever


Advertisement
Published: August 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Just before we walked under the fallJust before we walked under the fallJust before we walked under the fall

The waterfall behind us is the one we walked through. Hopefully the people we went with will email me the pictures at some point, cos they are AWESOME!
Up at 5 this morning to get the boat back to the first camp...left in the dark and soaked in the boat as usual...

Once at first camp we had breakfast, and then set off to another set of falls, called Sapo Falls which we were going to walk under.

Once we got there, it was the most awesomely cool thing I´ve ever experienced. Basically there was a small stone ledge just under the waterfall so you could walk through it to the other side.

Camera´s were useless, but Attila had a waterproof one so once he sends me some pics I can put them up.

The falls were so loud and the water pressure so powerful, that we were told to put one hand over our ears while walking through. The amount of water falling and the pressure imbalances it caused, made for crazy winds that almost blew you off.

It was like walking through 50 metres of concentrated, industrial strength power showers...It was hard to keep your eyes open as well, which made walking on the slippy rocks pretty hard..but definitely the coolest thing ever.

Once we got back to the main camp,
Laguna CanaimaLaguna CanaimaLaguna Canaima

Saying goodbye...
we had lunch, exchanged email addresses and headed off to the airport.

Getting a plane again involved waiting at the airport. We had to toss with Ale and Vale, when two seats became available, but lost the toss so had to wait agian.

Suddenly the tours woman came over and said they may not be able to fly us out on the same day. We really panicked then, because we were flying out from Caracas the next day, and had to get from Ciudad Bolivar to Caracas by bus and then to the airport and so HAD to leave that day.

The woman called every number in her phone book it seemed, and then finally they managed to fly us out on the last plane to leave the airfield, just before a storm hit as well...And once we got to La Paragua the Tour van had left, so we had to get a taxi with two other dudes...The taxi driver was an ex-racing pro, so the 4 hour drive was completed in 2 hours.

Once at Ciudad Bolivar, we realised we had no money and the stupid cash machines werent working. Luckily we bumped into Kilian who was getting a bus to Roraima the same day, and he was willing to give us some bolivars in exchagne for dollars.

The money was useless though, since there were no night buses to Caracas left, so we decided to get a bus to Marakai which is close to Caracas. We left at 9 expecting to arrive at 6. The bus finally arrived at 1030AM.

We then had to rush to Caracas on yet another bus, but finally made it to the airport.






Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

TepuysTepuys
Tepuys

These unique flat-top mountains seen from the air. Don´t let the picture fool you, they are quite high, except they dont have conventional peaks or summits.
Caracas airportCaracas airport
Caracas airport

It is a really picturesque (how do u spell that!) takeoff, since Caracas is a city in a valley nestled among mountains, and all the poorer people stay on theses hills. It makes for hills with little lights on them, which is a gorgeous setting while taking off.


Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0707s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb