Uruguay - The South Coast


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
March 16th 2010
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Uruguay felt like the vacation getaway for well-off Argentineans and Brazilians. As we followed the southern coast through the cobblestone streets of Colonia del Sacramento, the antique stalls in Montevideo and upscale shops in Punta del Este, we noticed them all around. Except in the town of La Paloma. We arrived just at the end of high season and the beach was relaxing and peaceful - except for the Bob Marley songs playing from the beach bar stereo over and over again. After 6 hours of baking in the sun, it was time to escape and enjoy the dulce de leche - in ice cream form. This caramelized milk in spreadable form has managed to make its way into every form of dessert possible, and is eaten in copious amounts in many parts of South America.

The habitual smoking, obsession with football, and cradling of the thermos bottle and mate cup are apparent like other South America countries; however, Uruguayos seem more laid back than their neighbouring countries. Hidden behind the intense heat and fierce mosquitoes the Uruguayos have a hidden gem - delicious wine! There were many varieties to select from including Tannat - a grape grown only here and in France. I’m going to start my own business - importing wines into Canada!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Time to soak in the sunTime to soak in the sun
Time to soak in the sun

and get burnt 6 hours later.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0392s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb