Argentina!


Advertisement
Argentina's flag
South America » Argentina
March 16th 2010
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

If I had to summarize Argentina in two words, it would have to be “exquisite diversity”. Spending three weeks around the areas of Bariloche, Salta, Iguazu and Buenos Aires was just a teaser. Some highlights include:
* Hearing the wind beneath the wings of a condor as we hiked the 16 km Cerro Cathedral trail to Refugio Frey.

* Biking on the evaporated salt flats and leaving with a film of salt over our bodies and clothes. We slept under the full moon and woke up to see snow had accumulated on top of the surrounding mountains. The best was being served warm oatmeal while still inside my cozy sleeping bag - another great reason to use Puma Expeditions.

* Feeling my heart skip a beat when we first viewed the Garganta del Diablo, the largest falls in Iguazu. The walkway across the river left us in complete suspense until we were standing right beside the falls with the mist completely soaking us and providing temporary relief from the humidity.

* We started each day with a café con leche and alfajores. The contrast of strong coffee with the richness of a biscuit filled with dulce de leche and sprinkled with coconut was delightful. On hot days we ALWAYS had ice cream for lunch and thanks to their Italian ancestry an ice cream store was never too far away! After action packed days outside we rewarded ourselves with mass quantities of red meat. For the vegetarians out there, this is the place to convert. I never realized beef could taste so so good - with only salt used as seasoning.

* To save on money we took an 18 hour overnight bus with semi-reclining seats. The seats were better than first class on some planes. The pillow and blanket were clean and not full of static, and we had a hot entrée served to us with beer and wine - followed by champagne!
I’ve left many countries feeling satisfied that I have seen much of what the country has to offer, but with Argentina I am anxious to return - pero cuando??

Many thanks to the couch surfers who opened up their hearts and homes to us. It was through them that we captured what living in these countries is really like. Besitos!


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Pare means stop. Pare means stop.
Pare means stop.

The dog and stop sign are on every third sheet, telling you when to stop.
Ceci & Juan's placeCeci & Juan's place
Ceci & Juan's place

until the move into their dream home. Isn't this already a dream home?


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb