Chiloé, Chile


Advertisement
Chile's flag
South America » Chile » Los Lagos » Chiloé Island
March 16th 2010
Published: March 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The trek out to Chiloé, Chile’s second largest island after Tierra del Fuego, to see the Magellan penguins in their natural habitat was definitely worth it. The Sendero de Chile led us on a walk along a deserted beach with a shipwreck and dead seal, and very muddy trails. For three hours we averted cow dung and swatted pesky flies to get to Ahuenco beach. But there were no penquins. There was a local father and son couple collecting sea plants for use in shampoos. We asked them about the penguins and they pointed towards a small island which was only accessible at low tide. We didn’t have time to wait for low tide, we had to get there now.

Folding up our pants proved useless as the chilly ocean water splashed up our knees. After climbing through slimy seaweed and sharp shells, with bleeding wounds and bruised knees, we were rewarded with a breath-taking site - penguins relaxing on the beach. They jumped into the water when they heard us approach, but returned once we remained motionless. We were in awe - they were so adorable. I wanted to reach out and squeeze one - but in reality they probably aren’t as cuddly as I think they are.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Trying milcaoTrying milcao
Trying milcao

Kinda like fried mashed potatoes


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb