Colonia Uruguay


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
November 11th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola Amigos! We traveled to Uruguay today to visit the Unesco world heritage town of Colonia. Before we could start our adventure we had to get through the ferry boarding system. We went to 5 different desks - one to tell the guy where we wanted to go, one to pay for the ticket, another for them to rip off one portion of our ticket stub, another to go through imigration, and finally another to board the boat. We literally were the last ones to jump on board. Thank goodnesss we made it because we had a wonderful sunny day.

Colonia switched hands between the Portugese and the Spanish many times over the years. This is evidenced by the different types of cobble stone streets. The Portugese streets are made with perfectly placed stones but with no sidewalks. The Spanish streets can barely be called streets. The cobble stones are more like huge rocks thrown together.

We took a tour from of the old town. There was a pretty lighthouse which we climbed to get a great view of the city. We ate at a cute restaurant in the square by the old church. And then had some great helado )ice cream).

Later that night we came back and ate dinner with a friend of a friend, Mauro, who lives in Buenos Aires. We went to a tasty sushi place in the Puerto Madero neightborhood and got a localĀ“s perspective on the city. It was a great end to our day. Tomorrow, off to Calafate Patagonia!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



13th November 2008

looks beautiful!
have fun!
17th November 2008

snow?
you ladies look like you are having a great time, can't wait to hear all about it when you get back! just think you are going to miss the first snow of the year probably... or looks like you might fly back home to it :) hope you are prepared to ditch those tank tops!!!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb