Not many tourists here either


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » North » Tacuarembó
September 4th 2007
Published: September 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We caught a bus to Tacuarembo and arrived at 9pm on the third. The tourist office at the bus station was closed, so we just caught a taxi to the Hotel Plaza, watched a TV program on how to make a parrilla, so no need to go to cooking class. We had more parrilla for tea, in a really interesting restaurant, lots of horse stuff on the walls, horse shoes, stirrups, whips etc. We walked to the bus station to see the tourist office, the staff their could not speak English, and we could not understand them or figure out how to visit the places they suggested so we found out about tickets out of town and bought tickets for the next evening to Melo. There is a big goucho display on in this town in about March, it would be really interesting to go to.

While walking around the town of Tacuarembo we came across a Goucho museum. This was really interesting and we saw stuff never seen before. A seat made from 2 pelvises - not sure if horse or cow, but they were held together with leather strapping and looked very comfortable to sit on. The museum also had a picture of how to make goucho boots - The skin off the back legs of a horse, also how to make a hat from the skin off its stomach. There were some amazing old saddles and stuff, silver plaited reins for a lady, silver stirrups and silver bits on saddles.

Paul had another parrilla and I was full from the previous day.
We walked to the bus station and got very lost, with the help of local people pointing us in the right direction, we found it and caught the bus to Melo.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb