The other side of colonialism


Advertisement
Published: January 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Montevideo at 1am yesterday (Sunday), and had a mad taxi ride to Gabriel´s appartment. Gabriel is a Uruguyan friend of Jody´s through work. Then followed two days of the grand tour of the city. Originally centred on a small peninsula, it now spreads along some amazing beaches, pity the water is a sewage brown colour! The city is a mix of old colonial buildings, half of them renovated and half need it drastically, next to large shiny modern boxes. A wierd mix, but the old spanish style town hall was amazing with large courtyards, spotless white walls and huge airy rooms with high ceilings.

But if I´m honest, food was the highlight. We had a never-ending stream of grilled meat at a restaurant overlooking the anchorage for our first lunch there - a meal that took the next 2 days to get over. Nevertheless, we did go on to stuff ouselves with icecream and pasta (local favourites due to the large amount of italian blood in the population here).

A couple of runs and a dip in the pool in Gabriels appartment did help with our appetites! The next move was up to the beaches at Punta del Este.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb