Goodbye Ecuador, Hello Suriname


Advertisement
Suriname's flag
South America » Suriname » Paramaribo
April 21st 2011
Published: April 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sorry for the recent radio silence. The travel day to Suriname was a long one, and mostly without problems. Maybe more on that later.

The main thing is that we are on the ground, and visiting with our friend Astrid MacDonald, who lives south of Parimaribo. We met Astrid 15 years ago when Sue Holloway and the late Murray Kocis asked us to host her through an organization called Canadian Crossroads. She lived with us for three months, and we thoroughly tortured her with various activities in the cold fall weather.

Now it's her turn for revenge. Despite this supposedly being the rainy season, we haven't had any appreciable rain in the last two days, and have instead been met with unbelievable, unrelenting heat. Our first full day, yesterday, started nice enough, but around nine in the morning it started getting uncomfortably warm. By ten it was opressive, and at 1pm unbearable. Around 6pm it started getting nice again. I have no idea how people live here.

Mercifully, Astrid has an air conditioner in the main bedroom which she has given up for our use here. So we are comfortable at night and can sleep well.

Suriname is definitely off the beaten path, so most people don't know a lot about it. I'll give you a bit of background. This is probably the most culturally diverse country in the Americas. Given that only a half million people live here, they have roots from Africa, Java, China and India. And they all speak Dutch because the Dutch were the last and most dominant colonial power before the country achieved independence. A local dialect of Dutch includes words from many different languages, and has a strong Carribean accent.

We now realize how valuable our limited spanish was to us in Latin America. Here, we are completely reliant on finding english speakers, or using Astrid to translate for us. Because we are light skinned (understatement), most locals assume we are dutch tourists, and happily start talking with us in Dutch.

Today we are at a river front resort east of Parimaribo, and enjoyed the pool this afternoon. The rooms here are also air conditioned, so that's good.

Hopefully will update again in a few days.

Cheers,

Los Smith

Advertisement



22nd April 2011

hmm
Not sure if the blurb I was writing got lost or sent. I'll try to remember what I just wrote and finish it tomorrow. New computer keyboard, wobbly hands.
22nd April 2011

Hola amigos
Regresso a la caraterra de informaciĆ³n. Splurged on a new mac for mi cumpleaƱos. So, I am catching up with you. You've had me travelling all over the place, all in one day. So, are you NOT going to learn Caribbean Dutch? I'm with you, after committing time to Espanol, I feel I can never travel to any place where I can't inflict my mal lingua on la gente. Your blog has been such a gift. You are such great writers! I feel like I'm with you all the way. The only place that I'm not jealous about is the humid heat in Surinam. Blah! I haven't been a tropical bird for a long time. Salud. lg
22nd April 2011

Awesome!
Good to hear you made it to Suriname. Geoff.
22nd April 2011

Happy Easter
Hi guys. Looks like you're still having lots of fun. Just thought I'd pop in and wish you all a Happy Easter. We had another dump of snow the other night the way things are going I expect we will get some for Canada Day. Take care and have lots of fun and looking forward to talking to you when you get back. Love you all.
22nd April 2011

Good Friday
Dawna and I were out for brunch at Stella's on Grant and had a pleasant surprise when we ran into [ not literally ] Marje and Pat. We were effusing about how great your blog was, so they,ll be checking in to read about all your adventtures. L was so glad to hear that the Easter Bunny also went to Suriname. Have a good visit with Astrid. I look forward to your next blog.Much love.
22nd April 2011

Please say hello to Astrid for me. I certainly remember her being cold alllllll the time and wearing all her clothes she had with her and then some. Don't think I ever saw her without her hat on. Hi Astrid

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1017kb