Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
October 8th 2008
Published: October 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had early morning train tickets, the driver was to come for us at 5:30am. The 3 dogs at the Kuchi Rumi walked us to the front gate, we´re glad they know it´s ok for us to be wandering around on the property. We could not believe the state of the road. After yesterday´s strike the roads were ¿open? again. There were boulders and tree stumps the size of cars littered across the road for as far as the eye could see. There was a small path bulldozed through and around some of the rocks to open the road again. This is the main road that takes every tourist to the Machu Picchu train in Ollantaytambo or to the start of the Inka trail so it is targeted to make a point. Our driver deftly dodged all the rocks, bottomed out his car just once on a pile of gravel across the road which was not cleared and still managed to pass anyone who was not going fast enough, 30 minutes of driving through this roadblock!
Took Peru rail to Aguas Calientes, train is the only way to get there, then the bus up to the citadel.
Spent a few hours
Machu PicchuMachu PicchuMachu Picchu

the shot everyone gets, too bad about the clouds
wandering around and taking photos, it really is an amazing setting so high up on the mountain, an entire city! We returned to Aguas Calientes in time for a downpour, glad we were not still up on the hill, I would hate to come down that switchback on a bus in the mud. We ducked into a restaurant and spent the afternoon in front of the fireplace. Late train back to the Kuchi Rumi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Aguas Calientes Aguas Calientes
Aguas Calientes

the town below Machu Picchu.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb