Peru--Enigmatic Ruins of the Incan Empire


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
October 1st 2005
Published: December 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Tour of Peru

Starting at the green flag, we went down to Nasca, down to Arrequipa, flew north to Cusco for a day before flying over to Puerto Maldonado in the Amazon. Then we flew back to Cusco, took a car and train up to Macchu Picchu, and then a bus down to Lake Titicaca before flying back to Lima to leave.

Machu PicchuMachu PicchuMachu Picchu

We're still amazed that we were actually there and took this picture!The ruins of Machu Picchu, rediscovered in 1911 by Yale archaeologist Hiram Bingham, are one of the most beautiful and enigmatic ancient sites in the world. Machu Picchu (meaning 'Old Peak' in the Quechua language) was revered as a sacred place from a far earlier time. (from: http://www.sacredsites.com/americas/peru/machu_picchu.html)
Our first country was Peru, land of the gallant Incas. Over 4 weeks we barnstormed the Nasca mystery lines; strolled through charming cities and monasteries; spotted parrots, crocodiles & leopards in the Amazon; sailed to the floating, reed villages of Lake Titicaca; and explored the sacred ruins of Machu Picchu.


To open the photo album, double click on the first photo.

Nasca Mystery Lines
Our 6 seater Cessna roared over the dusty, little town of Nasca to view the massive mystery lines etched in the desert. 2000 years ago, the Nasca people created a huge number of these enormous lines and pictures that can only be seen from the sky. Our pilot would tip the plane entirely on one side to use the wing to point out a symbol on the desert floor far below, and then swing the plane around, tip to the other side, and use the other wing to point out the same symbol to the other side of the plane. Whew! Now that was a dramatic flight!

The Amazon
After a wonderful time in Arrequipa, we took a flight over the Andes into tiny Puerto Maldonado in the Amazon Basin. We ultimately ended
Nazca linesNazca linesNazca lines

Just call Robin the co-pilot.
up traveling 8 hours up river deep into magic of the rain forest. Our expert local guide, Gerson, took us on jungle hikes, boat rides, canopy towers, and an ill-fated kayaking trip (well, not that ill, we just had to drag the kayaks a lot, the river was too dry). We spied loads of crazy colourful birds, wacky monkeys, giant river otters, crocs, the world’s largest rodents, and even the extremely elusive jaguar! We woke at 4 the first morning to red-howler monkeys bellowing their demonic sound through the darkened jungle. They are the loudest land mammal and they conclude each call with a deep, evil sounding “Ha ha haaaaa!” Freaky!

Machu Picchu
Where the lush jungle reaches the towering mountains, in a saddle between two majestic peaks, the Incas built their most sacred city Machu Picchu. The first thing we noticed was that, not only is Machu Picchu fantastic, the whole panorama surrounding the famous ruins is absolutely breathtaking! The mist swirled around impossibly steep peaks dropping thousands of feet to the rushing Urubamba river below. We arrived early in the morning and were able to do some exploring before hoards of irreverent tourists and pouring rain hit
Nazca linesNazca linesNazca lines

Check out this Nazca line, it's called the astronaut. See the head and eyes in the middle of the pic?
in the afternoon. Machu Picchu is truly one of the world’s most spectacular sites!


The Floating Islands of Lake Titicaca
As the conquistadors entered Peru, villagers around Lake Titicaca concocted a very clever scheme- They created floating reed islands that they could live on far out in the lake, hidden from Spanish eyes. We took a tour to the very touristy remains of these islands. It was fascinating to think of the history, take squishy footsteps across the reads, and see the reed houses and boats. The tour then continued to a scenic rock island where the villagers practice a form of communist living. It was a beautiful sunny day, and warm for being at 12,000 feet!

We had a fantastic time in Peru, the people were fabulous, the food was delicious and the sites were amazing. It was very easy to travel there and we would recommend it to anyone.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Arequipa--CathedralArequipa--Cathedral
Arequipa--Cathedral

Enjoying peruvian hot chocolate on a balcony overlooking the cathedral in Arequipa.
Arequipa--marketArequipa--market
Arequipa--market

How beautiful is that produce section!?
Cuzco--Our Hotel, Amaru IICuzco--Our Hotel, Amaru II
Cuzco--Our Hotel, Amaru II

Can you believe what you can get for $25 a night??
Cuzco--Plaza de ArmasCuzco--Plaza de Armas
Cuzco--Plaza de Armas

Most of the cities have these beautiful main squares in the center of town.
Amazon Basin--Oxbow lakeAmazon Basin--Oxbow lake
Amazon Basin--Oxbow lake

The river can loop in on itself and close itself off so that it eventually turns into a lake. We took a sunrise cruise on this lake to see all the animals.
Amazon Basin--night walkAmazon Basin--night walk
Amazon Basin--night walk

How cute is he?!
Amazon Basin--too hotAmazon Basin--too hot
Amazon Basin--too hot

It was too hot to think, too hot to sleep, too hot to read, too hot to write, all I could do was lay there.
Amazon Basin--CapyberraAmazon Basin--Capyberra
Amazon Basin--Capyberra

Largest rodent in the world, they're about 3 ft. tall. But they're really slow and sweet, they reminded us of a creature from a Miyazaki film.
Amazon Basin--elusive jaguarAmazon Basin--elusive jaguar
Amazon Basin--elusive jaguar

Yeah the picture is not the clearest, BUT, it's amazing that Robin got a picture at all. He was the rockstar of the lodge for this pic! We were on the river, saw the capyberras hurrying into the water. We were busy taking photos of them, and one of the guides yelled, "Jaguar!" They are incredibly rare to spot. Our guide has been going to the Amazon basin every week for 3 years and this was only his 5th spotting!
Machu PicchuMachu Picchu
Machu Picchu

Whatever its origins, the Inca turned the site into a small (5 square miles) but extraordinary city. Invisible from below and completely self-contained, surrounded by agricultural terraces sufficient to feed the population, and watered by natural springs, Machu Picchu seems to have been utilized by the Inca as a secret ceremonial city. (from: http://www.sacredsites.com/americas/peru/machu_picchu.html)
Machu PicchuMachu Picchu
Machu Picchu

The mist added a magical feel to the whole place. Two thousand feet above the rumbling Urubamba river, the cloud shrouded ruins have palaces, baths, temples, storage rooms and some 150 houses, all in a remarkable state of preservation. (from: http://www.sacredsites.com/americas/peru/machu_picchu.html)
Machu PicchuMachu Picchu
Machu Picchu

There were very steep terraces in the side of the mountain that the Incas used for farming.
Machu PicchuMachu Picchu
Machu Picchu

These structures, carved from the gray granite of the mountain top are wonders of both architectural and aesthetic genius. Many of the building blocks weigh 50 tons or more yet are so precisely sculpted and fitted together with such exactitude that the mortarless joints will not permit the insertion of even a thin knife blade. (from: http://www.sacredsites.com/americas/peru/machu_picchu.html)
PunoPuno
Puno

On our way to Puno, Robin met this llama.


14th December 2005

wow
i can't believe all of the cool places and things you guys are seeing. Very jealous, but in due time i am sure i will do the same. Stay safe. pc mike k
14th December 2005

Wow, great photos... from amazing places. Thanks for sharing them and the descriptions too! I like the kitchen shot. What's cooking there in that pot? Glad to see you're having a good time. Jim
14th December 2005

Wowza!
Guys thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures and adventures! Peru looks amazing. Can't wait to see the next batch.
18th December 2005

Awesome
The wild life pictures remind me of Discovery Channel..and Animal planet... Wish to do the same in future
7th November 2007

Can't believe your good fortune to actually get a shot of the jaguar. We just returned from the Amazon Basin and I have some nice photos, but sadly no jaguar. Nicely done. Wow!

Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb