Cusco - the "Naval of the World"


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Puno
October 31st 2008
Published: June 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hey all,

we took a few days off there in Cusco to unwind and relax, so spent most of it doing nothing much at all!! We dandered around the streets from bakery to coffee shop. Cusco was founded by the Incas and a lot of their old walls are still standing around the city, acting as foundations for the Spanish colonial buildings which followed. We went out wednesday on a bit of a pub crawl covering the Irish and English themed bars, of which there were many!! Met some other Irish girls from Newry in Paddy Flaherty's and their Australian tour leader- ended up going to two clubs with them- Mythology and Mama Africas. It was really good craic, and was after 3am when we got back to the hotel.

The next day was another day for sleeping in and lounging around the cafes. We went out that night for Annes 28th birthday. We went to an Indian restaurant for a meal and then out for drinks after. It was a belated celebration as Anne had been struck down with "travellers sickness" after getting back from Machu Picchu, but we were only a day late!! We went to a really cool cocktail bar which was relatively expensive but really funkily decorated inside!! We only stayed for one and then went on to Mythology again. Music was really good and we danced for hours!! Didn't get back to the hotel til half4 this time- the party and happy hours were still going!! It was a slow start at 8am the next morning as we had to get up to leave for Puno.

It was a 6 hour drive and we were hoping to avoid the roadblock in Sicuani again as we had to retrace part of our journey. We had been warned that there was a roadblock in the days before we left and were considering our options, but the day before we left they said it was cleared and we could pass. We did hit a small one, but it was only to slow traffic down enough to paint slogans all over them!! There was no hassle or anything though, they wished us a safe journey as we passed. Wes was not happy, we stopped for lunch to assess the damage- they had painted slogans in white paint all over the sides of the truck and even the wheels!!

There wasn't much to do in Puno when we got there, we had the orientation walk and bought presents (food) for the families we would be staying with in Amantani Island. We met our guide for Lake Titicaca and went out for dinner. It was halloween but we would be celebrating on Lake Titicaca, and besides we were too wrecked from the night before!!

Orla



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb