Floating Reed Islands of Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Uros Island
December 27th 2006
Published: January 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To La Paz, Bolivia

From Quito, Ecuador, to La Paz, Bolivia, via Peru.

Lake Titicaca, where the world began according to legend, is in both Peru and Bolivia. It's the highest navigable lake in the world, and it also has people living on floating beds of reeds. How does this work? They are continually adding fresh reeds to the tops of the islands while the reeds underneath slowly break down. They're actually quite thick and I soon stopped wondering if I might fall through. So, why are they living out there? As the story goes they originally moved there to get away from the Incan Conquistadors, and I suppose found a nice nitch safely within the confounds of the lake.
Stevie and I came from Cuzco (where we spent Christmas (sorry, no pics), travelling for 8 hours on a bus to Puno, a city by the lake. From there we walked down to the water, waited until there were enough people to fill an old, rickity motor boat, and headed out on a half hour ride to the Uros Reed Islands.
We stopped at three different islands, each a bit the same with their cute little reed houses, reed boats, and reed lookout towers. At each one the inhabitants had their tourists goods set
Look OutLook OutLook Out

Each little island seemed to have it's own unique lookout. Check out the stats.
up. One of them had a fried fish lunch, another a stuffed bird museum (but I garauntee, my pics are real)!
Between the islands we were able to take a float on one of the really cool dragon headed boats.
Because we didn´t take a formal tour but instead just hopped in a boat and headed out, there still remains several unanswered question about their lifestyle. Where do they go to the bathroom? Do they have to import in most of their food? How often, if ever, do they leave their little island (most seemed like half the size of a football field).What do they do all day?
I must say the coolest part for me was that several of the houses had solar panels mainly for light at night. One older gentleman was more than enthusiastic to take us into his home and show us how it worked.
The next day we took another all day bus to La Paz, the Capitol of Peru, and also the highest capital city in world (get ready, Bolivia is full of superlatives). The majority of the ride was a windy road that hugged Lake Titcaca and moved in and out of breathless
Chicken DanceChicken DanceChicken Dance

My favorite lookout for gettin´down.
snow capped mountians. Not too shabby. Needless to say, there was no napping on this journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Reed Boat Chillin´Reed Boat Chillin´
Reed Boat Chillin´

Our 12 year old boat condoctor took us between islands.He said you could fit up to 50 people on the boat. I was glad there was just a few of us.
Sunny Floaty NappySunny Floaty Nappy
Sunny Floaty Nappy

Once in a lifetime place to take a nap.
Working From HomeWorking From Home
Working From Home

Lots of little blankets and tables were set up in front of their homes with hand made tourist goodies (mind you we´re travelers, not tourists, which is not always easy to explain why you can´t carry painted gourds and dolls for 7 months on your back.)
Anna´s Jardin de PapasAnna´s Jardin de Papas
Anna´s Jardin de Papas

This was my little friend Anna who was quite pleased to show me her potato garden.
Bird Giving Me the EyeBird Giving Me the Eye
Bird Giving Me the Eye

I might have gotten a little too close.
Sweet Birdy LoveSweet Birdy Love
Sweet Birdy Love

This couple was so sweet, they didn't seem to mind too much the paparazzi.


2nd January 2007

Reedy, reedy cool!
What an amazing place. The photos are great, especially "The End" So glad to see you guys having such a great trip. I loved your comment about being travelers, not tourists. I had never thought of it that way, but it is so obvious and the difficulty explaining this in a foreign language - lots of challenges. Have fun and take good care. All our love, Bobbie, Don and Lone
6th January 2007

what an awsome blog!
that reedy bed looks sublime! I bet the air up there is delicious... what sort of dreams can visit you in a place like that, huh? it already looks like you fell down the rabbit hole! I can't wait to hear all the tales and see the full array of pictures. just what you have here makes me want to jump on a plane, boat, or kelp raft and go south! I love you guys, and thanks so much for taking us all along!

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb