Floating Islands


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Taquile Island
June 19th 2015
Published: June 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Bang on time the taxi arrived and whisked us off to the port where we joined a group and were ushered onto a boat.

The boat turned out to really nice and comfortable, not the wooden plank seats I'd been expecting. A pan pipe player greeted us followed by an English speaking guide.
We soon reached the first floating reed island. As we stepped off the boat the ground was really springy beneath our feet. The sun was shining but it was still quite cold. The bare footed woman in traditional costume gestured us to sit on bales of reeds and proceeded to demonstrate how the islands are made. As the reeds rot from below the island is replenished by adding more reeds to the surface.
The reed houses only last about ten months then the whole process starts again.
We were then loaded onto a reed boat and taken to a patch of reeds growing. We saw how they were harvested and given a chance to taste them as they also provide food.
Back on the boat we all snoozed to the rocking of the boat as it sailed for 1 hour 40 mins to the island of Tequile.

On the island there was a steep climb of three and a half kms to the top of a hill where we were to have lunch. Glad we got acclimatized to the altitude before we came here!

Lunch with a view! Amazing sights over the lake!

We were also given a demonstration on the local plants and their uses.

Then it was time for the long walk back down to the boat.
We arrived back at the hostel at 5pm after saying goodbye to the many new friends we'd met from around the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb