If your fond of sand dunes....


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Piura » Máncora
October 11th 2007
Published: October 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

KeulapKeulapKeulap

Traditional Chachapoyan Hut
The shaman experience was pretty crazy.... Firstly to do the process properly, we had to go to the centre at 8am in the morning for the purging session. You drink this little cup of spicy liquid (whilst also being blessed with tabacco smoke, apparently helps) and then they provide 5 litres of water that you have to drink until you feel full each time.

So 6 of us (4 american´s) sat round in a circle with buckets in front of us waiting for the liquid to take effect! The next 2 hrs consisted of people throwing up huge amounts into the buckets. Wasn´t violent sickness, a strange smoothness about it! Was hilarious and everyone was laughing apart from when being sick! Although one American did looked pretty awful!

Felt really clean afterwards and then went back to the hotel for a bit of r + r. Then got a lift back to the centre with the shaman that evening! Back to the hut, more people had joined us (some people do it for up to 10 days!) to take the ayahuashca. (Ayahuashca is generally used to work through personal issues and to reverse certain addictions and can bring back
Keulap IIKeulap IIKeulap II

Main entrance
vivid memories etc. Is used as an amazonian medicine).

Had one cup and sat for a while, whilst he sang and played sort of maraca things. Felt abit strange but nothing too crazy, then he askes if anyone wants any more, so went for dose number two! This time the music sounded as if he was sitting in front of me and I was the only person there, playing the maraca´s. Thoughts drifted to random memories, quite a few from school, was quite cool. Was a very personal experience, hard to describe! Then as it wore off felt a bit tired, think the shaman actually fell asleep, snoring coming from his direction (was completely dark! sat with your eyes closed the whole time!). 4 hrs after starting got up, (couldn´t walk straight) and got a lift home with the shaman!

The next few days to aid the cleansing process you have to stick to a natural diet, only actually lasted til the next night! oops! Felt the effects of it for a few days though.

Next day got a bus followed by an interesting car journey to Chacapoyas. Car journey - was about 11pm but found the last taxi and the driver pointed to the only seat left, front passengers seat, what?! so both got in the front seat, was interesting, an hour an a half later got out in all kinds of pain!

Next day went to Keulap on a tour to see some ruins, really interesting! 3 tiered fortress on top of a mountain! Was really interesting, saw some burials rooms and stuff full of human bones.

Same day got 3 buses to mancora, all went very smoothly and met Canice´s friend Mick. Lovely beach town, just lazed around for 5 days. A bit of swimming, eating amazing seafood, drinking lots, and generally going nothing.

Parted company tuesday night and I got an overnight bus to Lima and then staight to Ica and then to Huacachina. Tried out sandboarding on the first day which was too much fun. Drive up into the dunes in a ridiculously powerful buggy.

After a bit of driving around and going down near vertical slopes in the buggy, got out the boards. Did about 8 runs down massive dunes, either lying on the board ( much more fun, go soooo quick) or go down snowboard style.
Sea viewSea viewSea view

stayed right next to the sea!
Loads of fun!

Today went to the Ballestas Islands off the coast, up at 5am this morning but was well worth it. Took a speed boat out and then saw penguins, sea lions, peruvian booby´s(the feathered variety), and millions of other sea birds!

Off to arequipa tonight! For another rest, too much travelling!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Sand, sand and more sandSand, sand and more sand
Sand, sand and more sand

view on the way out of Huacachina from the buggy
Sandboard runSandboard run
Sandboard run

the dark side of the first dune was where we went hurtling down!
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Afetr the sand boarding session
On the boatOn the boat
On the boat

bloody freezing!
Ballestas IslandsBallestas Islands
Ballestas Islands

One of the many caves
Maxin, relaxin..Maxin, relaxin..
Maxin, relaxin..

Sea lion on the rocks


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb