Background: Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by the Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. President Alberto FUJIMORI's election in 1990 ushered in a decade that saw a dramatic turnaround in the economy and significant progress in curtailing guerrilla activity. Nevertheless, the president's increasing reliance on authoritarian measures and an economic slump in the late 1990s generated mounting dissatisfaction with his regime. FUJIMORI won reelection to a third term in the spring of 2000, but international pressure and corruption scandals led to his ouster by Congress in November of that year. A caretaker government oversaw new elections in the spring of 2001, which ushered in Alejandro TOLEDO as the new head of government; his presidency has been hampered by allegations of corruption.
Photos from Máncora
Blogs from Máncora
Latest Blogs from Máncora
- May 6th 2013 Mancora
by Words: 1287 Photos: 6
- April 2nd 2013 Epic cross country adventures
by Words: 769 Photos: 0
- January 16th 2013 8th - 16th January (Entry 15)
by Words: 2173 Photos: 58
- October 12th 2012 Moved by Mancora
by Words: 327 Photos: 3
- September 4th 2012 "Crazy & Lazy" in Mancora!!!
by Words: 512 Photos: 0
- August 14th 2012 Peru - Just the beginning
by Words: 493 Photos: 3
- June 30th 2012 Oh there you are, Mr. Gut.
by Words: 778 Photos: 0
- June 28th 2012 Cusco to Mancora
by Words: 778 Photos: 5
- June 28th 2012 You just think you're leaving... but you will be back soon...
by Words: 599 Photos: 2
- June 26th 2012 What on earth have I been up to?
by Words: 231 Photos: 0
- June 19th 2012 Exiting Ecuador to Mancora
by Words: 2803 Photos: 12
- June 17th 2012 Debit, where art thou?
by Words: 758 Photos: 0
- June 11th 2012 Will I ever leave this paradise?
by Words: 479 Photos: 1
- May 25th 2012 "Here at the Point, we only drink on days that end in y." -Cyril
by Words: 859 Photos: 1
- May 17th 2012 Time to Move On!
by Words: 498 Photos: 0
- May 13th 2012 Lost in Laziness
by Words: 230 Photos: 0
- March 15th 2012 Inca Jungle trail del 2 og veien videre
by Words: 2022 Photos: 36
- January 19th 2012 2012 - The Big Bang!
by Words: 1173 Photos: 23
- December 3rd 2011 Máncora, leaving Peru on a high note
by Words: 384 Photos: 7
- November 21st 2011 The end of Peru
by Words: 821 Photos: 19