Amazon Jungle Day 4


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Loreto » Iquitos » Amazon Rainforest
June 27th 2007
Published: June 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We're hungry! There's no electricity, so the kitchen keeps food in coolers with blocks of ice. Some of the meat and fish have been salted in order to preserve them. Yuck! Oh well, we have crackers and cheese in our suitcase. This morning we went fishing at 6:00 a.m. It's beautiful in the Amazon in a small wooden dugout canoe as the animals all wake up for the day. We were fishing with a wooden pole and a line tied to the end. Edson brought along some bait and some breakfast, and I'm not sure which was which. The fish were certainly biting, but lots of them just wanted to eat our bait. We ended up catching piranha, sabolo, catfish, and some others that I don't even know the name of. It was really a lot of fun. Len had never been fishing, and he didn't think he'd like it. As soon as he caught a red-bellied piranha, he had a great time. As we were traveling down a narrow tributary, we came across some native fishermen who were very excited about what they had in their net. We went over to see what was going on, and we saw an enormous electric eel. They are much more dangerous than piranha. They can put out a lethal shock, so the men were very careful with the eel. After sorting it out of their catch, they slid it back into the water. How ugly! This afternoon we went for a long boat ride, and then we went swimming. Along the way we saw pink dolphins in the river and two sloths in the trees. The water felt great because it's been very warm. The water in the Amazon looks kind of like chocolate milk because it's carrying a lot of silt. The Tahuayo tributary looks more like tea. It's brown, but clear, not cloudy. Sally was ready to stay in the water and swim a while, but Len jumped in just long enough to say he did it. The piranha didn't bother us, and we still have all of our fingers and toes!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



11th July 2007

Len, I am so proud of you.....fishing.......staying in a National Geographic cabin.....swimming with piranha!!!! That is amazing!!
17th November 2010
RECOVERED

Africa
What an amazing trip!! I enjoyed all of the phootos and comments!!! My facebook will not let me comment on anything. Hopefully, this will go. I've been to Florida but not lately! Never to Africa!!!! That was a great trip!! !

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0953s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb