A Cusco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Lima
June 15th 2006
Published: June 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

June 14. Today we flew from Lima to Cusco. We flew LAN, arrived at the airport 1.5 hours before our flight, and received our seats - the first two rows! LAN didn’t have first class seats, so do not get too excited. The flight on LAN was wonderful - a rather new plane, short films shown on board, and a snack of a cheese sandwich and cookie - rather welcome at 10 am. The approach in to Cusco can be windy and rough, but it was our lucky day because it was pretty smooth with only an occasional bump. The Cusco airport has been renovated also to be a nice facility, very welcoming. In the luggage area are a multitude of travel agencies willing to help the traveler who needs assistance, as well as a band playing traditional music. We waited quite a bit to receive our luggage, and then were out the door. We are staying in Cusco with the same husband and wife with whom I stayed back in 1998 and 1999. Ciro was waiting for us with his truck - it was great to see him, and of course, upon arrival at the house we had coca tea. Yudy, Ciro´s wife, greeted us with enthusiasm and planned meals in order to ease our transition to the altitude here in Cusco of 11,000 ft. For lunch we had cream of spinach soup, chicken breast in gravy and rice - easy on the stomach!

In the afternoon we went to our trekking company and paid the final payment for our Inca Trail hike, and walked around the downtown area for a bit. It is a busy time of year to be in Cusco with all the festivals taking place. We happened to arrive on Corpus Criste, so the main plaza was frequently closed for parades.

June 15. We took advantage of the Corpus Criste celebration to see the saints, watch part of a parade, and visit the food booths selling traditional food on this day. Oh yeah, take a gander at these photos. What you see here are cuy (guinea pig), chicken, sausages (various types of various meats), corn bread, greens… we were offered tastes but passed. Not quite brave enough to consider eating the food that has been prepared and awaiting customers all morning and afternoon - however it was a visual treat and I had some
Cusco - Corpus Criste - FoodCusco - Corpus Criste - FoodCusco - Corpus Criste - Food

Ah, one street full of stands selling the same traditional food. Just look at that cuy!
great conversation with some of the ladies who prepared the food!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Cusco - Corpus Criste - FoodCusco - Corpus Criste - Food
Cusco - Corpus Criste - Food

A closer look at a little cuy...
Cusco - Corpus Criste - FoodCusco - Corpus Criste - Food
Cusco - Corpus Criste - Food

There was other food, too, such as sausages, veggies, and cheeses...
Cusco - Corpus Criste - FoodCusco - Corpus Criste - Food
Cusco - Corpus Criste - Food

And, awesome popcorn...


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb